Index name 'ABphpbb_acl_options_auth_option' on table 'ABphpbb_acl_options' is too long. The maximum is 30 characters

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
noth

Index name 'ABphpbb_acl_options_auth_option' on table 'ABphpbb_acl_options' is too long. The maximum is 30 characters

Post by noth » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:38 pm

I just started a new 3.1.3 forum

at the start I inserted two letters before the phpbb prefix so that I have a ABphpbb prefix on the database

GENERAL ERROR
Index name 'ABphpbb_acl_options_auth_option' on table 'ABphpbb_acl_options' is too long. The maximum is 30 characters.

BACKTRACE

FILE: (not given by php)
LINE: (not given by php)
CALL: msg_handler()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/tools.php
LINE: 2119
CALL: trigger_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/tools.php
LINE: 664
CALL: phpbb\db\tools->sql_create_unique_index()

FILE: [ROOT]/install/install_install.php
LINE: 1218
CALL: phpbb\db\tools->sql_create_table()

FILE: [ROOT]/install/install_install.php
LINE: 99
CALL: install_install->load_schema()

FILE: [ROOT]/install/index.php
LINE: 409
CALL: install_install->main()

FILE: [ROOT]/install/index.php
LINE: 289
CALL: module->load()

so the forum won't operate

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Index name 'ABphpbb_acl_options_auth_option' on table 'ABphpbb_acl_options' is too long. The maximum is 30 character

Post by stevemaury » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:41 pm

Change the table prefix to something shorter.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Index name 'ABphpbb_acl_options_auth_option' on table 'ABphpbb_acl_options' is too long. The maximum is 30 character

Post by KevC » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:41 pm

As the error says, you have a maximum of 30 characters for a table name.

That one listed is 23 characters long so your maximum prefix can only be 7 or less. Yours is 8.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

noth

Post by noth » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:01 pm

so the prefix starts at phpbb

that's normal

so now we are only allowed to add one letter? so Aphpbb would be fine

I have added two letters in phpbb for years, no problem

ok how do I change the prefix now? go back into phpmtadmin? or start the install all over again?

thanks for your help :D

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:59 pm

if you have no posts, members etc. just start over. you can change the prefix to anything you like as long as it does not exceed the maximum characters.

you do not have to leave the phpbb there. change it to ab_ or yoyo_ or whatever you want.

you don't even have to have a prefix at all. the purpose of the prefix is if you have more than one program using the same database you can keep the tables separate. for instance, if you have wp installed on the same database you would have wp_tablename and phpbb_tablename
or, if you have more than one phpbb installed, you can have phpbb1_ and phpbb2_ etc. etc.

also, try not to use uppercase letters for any of this. using all lowercase is the best policy for anything to do with web sites, server, ftp, file/folder names etc. etc.
in most enviornments, A is completely different from a. so a file named File.html is not the same as a file named file.html

windows is the only place that ignores case so in a windows enviornment, those two would be the same file.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:12 pm

There are several ways to do it, but since this is a new install, starting over is probably easiest.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

noth

Post by noth » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:32 pm

thanks, I wasn't sure the "install" would allow you a "2nd go" but yeah :D 2nd time round, no worries!! :lol:

:mrgreen: thanks to all above

I have a feeling this is all due to the unusually long site name/ url which was unavoidable - I never had such a long website name before, this must be the reason

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:09 pm

noth wrote:I have a feeling this is all due to the unusually long site name/ url which was unavoidable - I never had such a long website name before, this must be the reason
No, it has nothing to do with that. The error message tells you what the problem was and that was further expanded on here:
KevC wrote:As the error says, you have a maximum of 30 characters for a table name.

That one listed is 23 characters long so your maximum prefix can only be 7 or less. Yours is 8.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:19 pm

as I said above, you get to choose the table prefix during the install, you can choose whatever you wish or none at all. you just have to keep the total under the maximum characters.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:22 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:as I said above, you get to choose the table prefix during the install, you can choose whatever you wish or none at all. you just have to keep the total under the maximum characters.

robert
Which I highly doubt that anyone would know that an index of acl_options_auth_option, which is 23 characters long, would be made.

Granted leaving it at default of phpbb_ would meet the requirement but still...23 character long index seems a bit over the top. Probably could have left it at acl_opts_auth_opt which would require other changes to the database I am sure.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

marcovo
Name: Marco

Post by marcovo » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:39 pm

I'm trying to create a board just now... and it fails just because of above reason, but now for another index name:

Index name 'phpbb3_search_wordmatch_un_mtch' on table 'phpbb3_search_wordmatch' is too long. The maximum is 30 characters.

So... 'search_wordmatch_un_mtch' is 24 characters, and 'phpbb_' is 6, together adding up to 30 characters. So we may not add any more characters? It seems to me that these indices are just too long?

Furthermore, what does this do to a update? In the coming month I'm about to upgrade around 1500 phpBB forums from phpBB 3.0.12 to 3.1.* . All these forums are installed with prefix phpbb3_ , because a fair few of them once were phpBB 2 forums, so for coding reasons the prefix had to be different. But does this mean that I cannot upgrade those forums because the prefix is 1 character too long?

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:48 pm

I think the 30 character limit was imposed to handle Oracle databases because that is a limit they have. If you want a longer prefix you would need to modify the code and never use an Oracle database.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

marcovo
Name: Marco

Post by marcovo » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:03 pm

Ah thanks, I'll try that. I guess for me that will help; but it may be very advisable to either see to it that the index names should become shorter, or provide a clear error to the user indicating that their prefix is too long. (Right now you'll only notice halfway the database creation...)

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”