Maximum connections to the MySQL

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
TopSpace

Maximum connections to the MySQL

Post by TopSpace » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:22 am

I've seen on hoster's condition on their service is parameter of maximal connections to the MySQL. I'm want to know does it equal (max. connections to the mysql) to a maximum users on forum? Or on everypage for each user connection are being opened and closed on the per page so it means maximum requests in the same time and really forum can host more users at the time or its literally means maximum connections to the mysql = maximum users on the board?

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Maximum connections to the MySQL

Post by david63 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:31 am

I am not an expert in this area but my understanding would be that it is the maximum number of concurrent users accessing the database - but the only people who can give a definitive answer would be the hosting company as some hosts have some strange set ups.

On the basis that database accesses are, usually, only for a couple of seconds then you can have many more users actually active (i.e. reading posts, composing PMs etc.) than are actually accessing data.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

TopSpace

Post by TopSpace » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:36 am

Yep, the question is phpBB create/close mysql connection everytime on page or hold it on session (if it possible). I do not know symfony framework but I believe it uses not persisent connections.
Last edited by TopSpace on Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:40 am

I'd be inclined to speak to the host, ask them if they have any phpBB boards on their servers or ask if they can meet the Requirements.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

TopSpace

Post by TopSpace » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:04 am

function sql_connect($sqlserver, $sqluser, $sqlpassword, $database, $port = false, $persistency = false, $new_link = false)
{
$this->persistency = $persistency;
$this->user = $sqluser;
$this->server = $sqlserver . (($port) ? ':' . $port : '');
$this->dbname = $database;

$this->sql_layer = 'mysql4';

if ($this->persistency)
{
if (!function_exists('mysql_pconnect'))
{
$this->connect_error = 'mysql_pconnect function does not exist, is mysql extension installed?';
return $this->sql_error('');
}
$this->db_connect_id = @mysql_pconnect($this->server, $this->user, $sqlpassword);
}
else
{
as I can suppose there is some option for enable/disable persistency, but I cant find it in options of phpBB. I believe its set default "no" as default value in sql connection function

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”