Unable to create the cache directory

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
dougalcubed

Unable to create the cache directory

Post by dougalcubed » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:00 am

I have moved our discussion forum from 3.0.x to the current 3.1.3 all appears to have gone well, and the database_update.php ran through without any error. However when I try to log into the forum, I get the message that:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'RuntimeException' with message 'Unable to create the cache directory (./cache/twig//91/9b).'

You can view the whole message by going to http://discussion.eas.org.uk/adviceforum/index.php

I initially assumed that this was a file permissions issue, and checked the File Attributes for the "cache" directory using FileZilla. The cache folder is '777' however the "twig" folder is '755' and I cannot change this to '777', FZ returning 550 for the operation CHMOD 777. Also I cannot delete the cache or the twig folders going all the way down to the "9b" folder:

Command: RMD 9b
Response: 550 9b: Permission denied

1. Is the original fatal error related to the folder permissions?
2. If I'm unable to delete the folder, then I'm also unable to revert the board back to the pre-update version.

Bit of a bind really.

Thanks,
D.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: Unable to create the cache directory

Post by Oyabun1 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:23 am

Contact your host. They may have special restrictions on the server.

I've been on a server where the cache and cache/twig folders can't be set to 777, they would automatically revert to 755, but it didn't cause any issues.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

dougalcubed

Post by dougalcubed » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:38 am

Cheers Oyabun1 will check with the host and see what they say. Will post reply later.

D :)

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:58 am

Depending on your server setup it may possibly be a problem with ownership. I have known the situation where the folder/file owner is "root" and unless you have root access then you cannot change anything.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:16 pm

Yes, the most common cause of ownership problems is if the file package was unzipped on the server rather than being uploaded in an uncompressed state.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

dougalcubed

Post by dougalcubed » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:48 pm

Hi all,

I can confirm that all files were transferred as uncompressed and in accordance with the binary format as require when using FileZilla.

The situation has now been resolved with the host server's intervention.
It looks like the problem was with the permissions on the cache directory
- in particular, phpBB had created some of the subdirectories & files in there with the generic user account "www-data" as the owner. I've changed the ownership of those to your user name, and also adjusted the "AssignUserID" setting for the site to ensure that it uses the correct account in future.
Thanks for you help.

Cheers,
D.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”