Fresh 3.1.x install (not update) but use existing database?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
dpaanlka

Fresh 3.1.x install (not update) but use existing database?

Post by dpaanlka » Sat May 02, 2015 2:34 pm

Hello Everyone,
I have a rather old phpBB 3.0.11 board. I was an early adopter and this board installation has been active since one of the 3.0 release candidates (8 years or so) and as such has accumulated a lot of dust, broken mods, strange inexplicable quirks etc...

I'm very interested in simply installing 3.1.x brand new, and retaining my old board's forums, users and posts. Is there a good way to go about this? I know there's probably database changes but is there a way to "update the database" without updating the old board and just replacing it instead?

Any help or direction to start me off on this project would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
phpBB user and evangelist since 2005.
My boards: Info-Mac | System 7 Today

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Fresh 3.1.x install (not update) but use existing database?

Post by KevC » Sat May 02, 2015 3:45 pm

Notes:
  • Your server must be running at least PHP 5.3.3
  • Most MODs for 3.0.x are incompatible with 3.1.x and their functionality will be removed in the update process.
  • Styles for 3.0.x cannot be installed or used on 3.1.x.
  1. Backup up your board's files and database
  2. Deactivate all styles except for prosilver
  3. Ensure that the activated spambot countermeasure is one of the standard phpBB plugins (Simple image, GD image, GD 3D image, Q&A, reCaptacha).
  4. Set British English as the only language pack
  5. Delete all of your phpBB 3.0.x files EXCEPT for the following:
    • The config.php file
    • The /images/ directory
    • The /files/ directory
    • The /store/ directory
  6. Upload the contents of the phpBB3 directory from the uncompressed 3.1.x Full Package (EXCEPT for config.php) into your forum's directory (Note: you don't want to overwrite your original config.php file)
  7. Browse to www.example.com/install/database_update.php
  8. Delete the /install/ directory
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

dpaanlka

Re: Fresh 3.1.x install (not update) but use existing database?

Post by dpaanlka » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:24 pm

I know this is really old but I wanted to chime in that I finally got around to doing this. However these exact instructions didn't work out. I followed these instructions instead, and because my board is large I had to use command line option instead. Worked perfectly now!

Thanks!
phpBB user and evangelist since 2005.
My boards: Info-Mac | System 7 Today

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”