PHPBB Automatically upgraded?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
Bribba

PHPBB Automatically upgraded?

Post by Bribba »

I run a 3.0.12 board and last night I logged in an noticed the my style was removed from the site. Logging in to the ACP, it appears that the board was upgraded to 3.1.4 by the user "Anonymous". There were also several other things added. I am nor super familiar with phpBB and am not a hosting expert. But is this right or have I been compromised? Here is the activity from the log:

Anonymous Tue May 05, 2015 8:28 am Updated Database from version 3.0.12 to version 3.1.4
Anonymous Tue May 05, 2015 8:27 am Module removed
» UCP_PM_POPUP_TITLE
Anonymous Tue May 05, 2015 8:27 am Module added
» Contact page settings
» MCP_QUEUE_DELETED_TOPICS
» MCP_QUEUE_DELETED_POSTS
» UCP_AUTH_LINK_MANAGE
» UCP_NOTIFICATION_LIST
» UCP_NOTIFICATION_OPTIONS
» Manage group positions
» Manage attachments
» Install Styles
» UCP_PROFILE_AUTOLOGIN_KEYS
» Language management
» Templates
» Themes
» ACP_IMAGESETS
» ACP_STYLE_COMPONENTS
» Extension management
» Manage extensions

Any help you guys could give would be great. Thanks.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: PHPBB Automatically upgraded?

Post by KevC »

None of that is unusual for a 3.0 to 3.1 upgrade. The database part of the update can be done without logging in as long as the files have been uploaded to the server.

Ask your hosts if they've done it.

I can't think of anything malicious that would involve upgrading the board for you.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
Bribba

Post by Bribba »

Ya, I didn't think so. But I have known bots to place malicious scripts deep into folders under the guise of something benevolent like this. But then again, nothing else was affected. All the posts are still there.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

the only way this happens is if you originally installed phpbb using the hosting control panel. when you do that, it puts a file in your board root that allows that same program to come along and automatically update it for you without your knowledge. I would suggest that you find that file and remove it so it doesn't happen again. what if you had made a bunch of custom changes to your files and it just wiped them out?

If your server uses "Softaculous" to install programs then you will see a folder named Softaculous in the root of your server. that is where you can delete the installation files.

If your server using fantastico to install programs you will find a file named something like fantastico.info in the root of your board and you can delete that.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
admirernepali

Post by admirernepali »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:the only way this happens is if you originally installed phpbb using the hosting control panel. when you do that, it puts a file in your board root that allows that same program to come along and automatically update it for you without your knowledge. I would suggest that you find that file and remove it so it doesn't happen again. what if you had made a bunch of custom changes to your files and it just wiped them out?

If your server uses "Softaculous" to install programs then you will see a folder named Softaculous in the root of your server. that is where you can delete the installation files.

If your server using fantastico to install programs you will find a file named something like fantastico.info in the root of your board and you can delete that.

robert
Now it make sense, I was just wondering how it is possible?
Thanks for pointing me out here.
Don't be pirate. Stolen software may steal your identity.
http://www.nepaliexpert.com/ | https://au.linkedin.com/pub/adarsh-khatri/53/a33/81

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”