Notification emails stopped working suddenly

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
Chitose

Notification emails stopped working suddenly

Post by Chitose » Sat May 09, 2015 6:33 pm

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.1.4
What is your board's URL? http://thecrimsonclover.altervista.org/ ... /index.php
Who do you host your board with? Altervista.org
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.1.3
What MODs do you have installed?
Add User
Ajax Shoutbox
Board Announcements
Board Rules
Breadcrumb Menu
Game Tooltips
Pages
PBWoW 3 Extension
Posting Buttons
Quick Login
Quick Style
Rank Post Styling
Recent Topics
Topic Preview
What styles do you currently have installed? PBWOW3 + sub styles
What language(s) is your board currently using? Brit Eng
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? phpbbtest
What password can be used to view this issue? phpbbtest
When did your problem begin? I'd guess after 30th of april. Can't do better than guess.
Please describe your problem. The notification emails suddenly stopped working. New PM, reply and thread notifications aren't delivered. When sending a message through the contact board admin thing, that doesn't get delivered either. I believe the user account activation emails aren't sent either.

I have checked my own notification settings and they are the same as they were before. Other members are also not receiving any emails. One mentioned that he had previously received them in gmail spam folder but now they have stopped all together.

There are no errors in the error log and the only actions by admin / moderator log since 30th of april are
- Pruning shoutbox
- Altering PBWOW settings (changed one number in text that shows up in a box on the front page, have done this multiple times before)
- Edited pages (Pages extension)
- Altered board announcement
- Changed topic type

I have tried
- Purging cache
- Purging sessions
- Marking out flush in cron.php and then enabling it again
- Changing email package size to 0
- Changing flood limit or timer to 0
- Changing queue interval to 10
- Disabling and then enabling board-wide emails

I tried enabling SMTP with localhost and port 25, thus producing the following error:
Email error
?? EMAIL/SMTP
/TheCrimsonClover/memberlist.php

Could not get mail server response codes.
Backtrace

Connecting to localhost:25
which went away once I changed the settings back.

I have used the support.php thing by checking email in it. It gave me this
Email Settings
Enable board-wide e-mails: Enabled
Users send e-mails via board: Enabled
E-mail function name: mail
E-mail package size: 20
E-mail chunk size: 50
E-mail queue interval: 60 secs
Contact e-mail address: crimsoncloverchitose@gmail.com
Contact name:
Return e-mail address: crimsoncloverchitose@gmail.com
Hide e-mail addresses: Yes
Use SMTP server for e-mail: No
Generated by SRT Generator

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Notification emails stopped working suddenly

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat May 09, 2015 6:55 pm

a couple of things;

you should really be using a email address at your domain. go to your hosting control panel, setup a email address for the board to use.

go to your email settings and use that email address for everything to do with the board.

not saying you can't make it work with gmail etc. but many hosts do not allow you to relay email from a different mail server through theirs.

also, if it was all working properly and you did nothing to change it then obviously somebody did.

the only other people that should be able to make changes to your server settings are the host.

so, contact them and ask them what they did that caused this.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Chitose

Post by Chitose » Sun May 10, 2015 7:25 am

Thank you for a speedy reply!

The only email I could find at my host is an alias of the mail I used to create the account. I entered that for now.

I will contact the host and ask if they did anything recently.

Thanks for the tips!

Chitose

Post by Chitose » Sun May 10, 2015 8:01 am

I changed the email address last night as you suggested, only got around to replying to this topic this morning tho. Since I changed the email address on the board, the notifications have worked again. So it might've been that! Maybe the host had changed the settings so that I couldn't use gmail address anymore.

Thanks for the help! I'll get back if the problem appears again.

Chitose

Post by Chitose » Thu May 14, 2015 1:50 pm

The problem persist, just FYI. The emails started working for a while and then stopped again. I am contacting the host atm to see if they have any solutions.

Chitose

Post by Chitose » Sun May 17, 2015 9:19 am

I'm back for help.

I installed the Cron Status extension to see if that had any insight on my issues. Sure enough cron.task.core.queue is marked red and last done 09 May 2015, 19:53. Could this have something to do with the notification emails? They started working again for three days or so the following night from that Cron. During the Cron in question the board email was still @gmail and thanks to the tip from Lumpy I changed it to @altervista.org around midnight or so on 9th of May, so that was after that Cron in the screenshot.

What should I do with these Crons and could they be connected to the emails? Btw the cache folder has no Crons in it and clearing cache does nothing.
Attachments
Cronstatus.png

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Sun May 17, 2015 10:46 am

Chitose wrote:I am contacting the host atm to see if they have any solutions.
What did they say?
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Chitose

Post by Chitose » Sun May 17, 2015 8:54 pm

Oyabun1 wrote:
Chitose wrote:I am contacting the host atm to see if they have any solutions.
What did they say?
I haven't been able to make contact with them. I posted on the altervista forums, have gotten no replies to my topic and it's been there for a while now. I also used a web form "To directly contact the managers of the websites hosted by AlterVista". The form was supposed to send me a confirmation email within a few hours, altho it never did. I filled the form twice. I sent an issue report about the form via another form. So far I haven't gotten any response from the host and don't know what else to try to contact them
Last edited by Chitose on Tue May 19, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chitose

Post by Chitose » Mon May 18, 2015 6:25 am

The contact form I used to contact the web master or whatever, finally sent me the confirmation emails late last night. We'll see how long it takes for them to get back to me.

I did some digging last night. I remind you all that I am a noob in this area! I am trying to write things out as clearly as I can.

So the cache had no queue.php.lock file because I had emptied the cache when there used to be one and a new one never appeared after that. Whenever I tried to open the queue.php.lock to edit it, it was empty. Last night I used the phpmyadmin again and did some digging around there. There is a table called avphpbb_notifications. This had a ton of notifications for multiple users for new PM's, new threads, new replies etc. Some of them had status read and some unread. I changed all of them to read, then I deleted them all. After this I sent a PM to my other account on the forums, this showed up in the avphpbb_notifications. Then I checked the Cron Status thing in ACP, and it had changed to show cron.task.core.queue as a task ready to be run. So I ran it. The notification email for the my own PM arrived. In the cache folder the queue.php.lock file appeared again. After this I sent a few more PM's, but the cron.task.core.queue didn't change into runnable again and the notifications never arrived on their own, probably because there was stuff in avphpbb_notifications, which apparently doesn't disappear on it's own as I guess it should. I guess cron.task.core.prune_notifications handles that?

This morning I emptied the avphpbb_notifications again (which probably changed the timer on the cron.task.core.prune_notifications in the Cron Status as seen in the screenshots), sent myself a PM and took a screenshot of the Cron Status.
cronready.png
The last run time on the cron.task.core.queue changed by itself to the time I sent the PM to myself, but no notification emails are arriving. I think last night I changed the Cron timer to 10 in phpmyadmin. So, I waited for the 10minutes. And sure enough, the cron.task.core.queue ran itself and thus dropped down as a red thing again.
cronrun.png
Based on last night and previous days, that cron.task.core.queue won't revive itself, or run itself again, but just to make sure I'll wait those 10minutes for the next run. Yep, after the 10 minute limit it's still hanging in the red zone. And so far (13mins since last run) I haven't received the notification emails it was supposed to sent, contrary to last night when after I run it myself the email was sent. One thing that bugs me is that every other Cron (that supposedly functions normally) has a proper New Task Date, but the cron.task.core.queue just has the same timer as it does on the Last Task Date.

So, my question is: Does this mean that the Cron is not functioning properly, what could cause it and what should I do to try to fix this? I haven't edited the Cron.php file as my memory recalls, I only marked out Flush() and then unmarked it so I haven't changed anything.

If you have any followup questions for me or need to access the forums for any reason, there's a user phpbbtest with limited access, the pass being the same as the user.

Chitose

Post by Chitose » Tue May 19, 2015 2:48 pm

Okay, so someone replied to my thread on the altervista forums.
From our point of view everything is working fine and mail are correctly sent. Maybe your mails are tagged as spam and put into the spam folder?

You can try to ask your users to add your forum's email address into their contact list.
I do have the email on my contact list and yet the messages are marked as spam if they do arrive. However, most often they don't and I do check my spam folder.

Yesterday I sent my other account 2 PM's in the morning at 8.58 or so. I got the notifications today, at 13.29. Cron status: cron.task.core.queue last done: Today, 08:59. However, there are also two new replies to the forums posted last night, of which I haven't received emails (to the account that sent the PM's). Other people aren't receiving notifications either, so it's not just me.

I'm getting so confused with this, I feel like giving up totally and just submitting to the notificationless life :roll:

peopleopinion

Re: Notification emails stopped working suddenly: how frequent?

Post by peopleopinion » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:18 pm

Is this issue happening frequently as far as devs know?

I'm asking that because I tried to register to Area51 more and more times but I got no response at all.
I tried to register to Area51 because the section "Ideas" on phpbb forum is "permanently(?)" under maintenance (I'm very sad for it).

On Area51 I tried more times to:
register: no result;
login with credentials inserted during registration process: no result;
resend confirmation email for registration: no result;
contact Area51 admins with the form usable by non registered users: no result.

no email received = no registration.
I also tried my email (the same used into my own PHPBB board and here in this forum) and it works pretty well: I received emails from here and from there in 5-10 sec from sending.

Are those effects caused by the same issue of this topic?
I would like to update my actual phpbb board to the last version, but is it sure to do or I'm going to get same issues on my board?
I'm curious because if the risk is to have so important issues I prefer to wait next version of phpbb, hoping that it will work better.

[I am not sure if this is the right section in which post this question but hope yes. Sorry if it is not.]
Last edited by Oyabun1 on Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Excessive formatting removed
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:02 am

your problems getting registered at area 51 have nothing at all to do with the OP's problems with getting email working at his server.

phpbb does not do email. phpbb provides a way to use whatever email system is setup on the server it is installed on, or, in some cases on a remote server like gmail etc.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

richey

Post by richey » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:43 am

Hi chitose,

I have the same problem as already reported in other threads.

For what I've found out so far, it seems to have only to do with the pm/post/thread/forum notification system (iow, the 'Area51' issue has nothing to do with it, registrations emails are not affected and are working fine).

Also, but not 100% sure about, it seems to only affect boards that have been converted from phpBB 3.0 to phpBB 3.1. Only since the upgrade, only registration emails work anymore, but no other email notifications.

Also, the internal notification system works fine, notifications are correctly displayed within the board once the user has logged in - but he won't receive any emails about it if he checked the options to send them.

Whether the board is configured to use SMTP or PHP's internal email function doesn't make any difference.

Server mail logs don't show indications of emails being flagged as spam ...or even sent.

cheers,
r.

richey

Post by richey » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:29 am

Good news! After so many things I've tried (w/ server logging etc.), just setting the 'Email package size' option to "0" did the trick. :shock: :geek:

Can anyone explain me what may be the technical reason behind this?

kind regards
r.

Chitose

Post by Chitose » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:43 am

I haven't remembered to post an update.

No matter what we tried we couldn't get the regular emails working. The only thing that did work was that we changed the automatic layot of the emails that were sent out. We took out all the auto-formatted text fields, and put in a short message of our own, something like "Something needs your attention on the forums" and a link to the forums. That worked, and the emails were received.

We were content with that and didn't try anything. Then all of a sudden, the normal automated emails started working again, even tho we didn't change the email layout or anything. So, currently the emails are working as normal and I have no idea why they didn't work (some filter probably registering them as spam somewhere along the line, cause adjusting the message helped) or why they started working on their own again.

I'm sorry if this is confusing, I'm currently at work and a bit tired.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”