Unable to log into ACP (refreshes)

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
Cable Player

Unable to log into ACP (refreshes)

Post by Cable Player » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi,
When trying to log into the ACP the page just refreshes. Another admin has this issue and we've tried IE, Chrome and Firefox between us.

The cookie settings are correct, I have changed them via phpMyAdmin to be incorrect and back again to see if that helped but it did not.

The board has a fresh 3.1.5 file set (minus the config file, images and files folders - they are from the old installation) - the database is also updated to 3.1.5.

Extensions were installed to the board, but I have disabled them in phpMyAdmin.
The extensions installed were:

anavaro/autoban
boardtools/upload
david63/announceonindex
david63/sitelogo
dmzx/donation
phpbb/boardrules
phpbb/pages
phpbbmodders/banhammer
rmcgirr83/topfive
vse/abbc3

I'm at a lot as to what to do next - any suggestions?
Thanks

LadyAnna
Name: Anna Broman

Re: Unable to log into ACP (refreshes)

Post by LadyAnna » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:55 pm

Open the cache folder in your phpBB root, delete all but the .htaccess and index.htm

I just messed with that myself on my forum when working on restoring the database after a small mishap on my part, and that helped for me at least.

Nikola
Name: Nikola

Post by Nikola » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:05 pm

You can also try and do the following; Take backups before doing anything;

1. Replace includes/session.php with a fresh copy from 3.1.5 download archive. Make sure you backed up old one. In case you get same result, you may want to restore older one.

2. Check if the phpbb_sessions table needs repairing via phpmyadmin.

3. Check if the phpbb_config table needs repairing via phpmyadmin.This is due to cookies. More precisely, you can do the following query to go instantly where cookies settings are;

Code: Select all

SELECT *
  FROM phpbb_config
 WHERE config_name LIKE '%cookie%';
4. You may also want to try and run following query via phpmyadmin;

UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = 'cookie domain goes here' WHERE config_name = 'cookie_domain';
UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = 'cookie name goes here' WHERE config_name = 'cookie_name';
UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = 'cookie path goes here' WHERE config_name = 'cookie_path';
UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = '0' WHERE config_name = 'cookie_secure';
- Note that phpbb_ is a default prefix for DB tables. If you use custom ones simply use yours.
"What would happen if the autism gene was eliminated from the genetic pool?

You would have a bunch of people standing around in a cave, chatting and socializing and not getting anything done."

- Dr. Temple Grandin, A Personal Look at Autism and Asperger's Syndrome.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:27 pm

Cable Player wrote:The cookie settings are correct, I have changed them via phpMyAdmin to be incorrect and back again to see if that helped but it did not.
That only takes effect if you delete the cache/data_global.php file.

What's the address of the board? The link in your profile doesn't work.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Cable Player

Post by Cable Player » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:17 pm

Hi, the above suggestions didn't work. Thank you though.
KevC wrote:What's the address of the board? The link in your profile doesn't work.
Sorry, that needs removing it's an old domain. It's over at www.ftononline.net

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:28 pm

By running that SQL query mentioned above you've just ruined your cookies.

Discovered cookie names (weight)
    cookie%20name%20goes%20here (3)
Cookie name
    cookie%20name%20goes%20here
Cookie domain
    (unset)
Cookie path
    cookie path goes here
Follow this
Fixing incorrect cookie settings
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Nikola

Post by Nikola » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:38 pm

KevC wrote:By running that SQL query mentioned above you've just ruined your cookies.
Fixing incorrect cookie settings
That SQL query mentioned above is exactly what you suggested here; http://i.imgur.com/xMMJ0L6.png
This updates cookie settings, nothing to do with ruining. It may indicate that they are having issues with the cookies settings as originally suspected.

You would have a bunch of people standing around in a cave, chatting and socializing and not getting anything done."

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:42 pm

You neglected to mention the bit underneath that stating you have to replace those sections of 'cookie domain goes here' etc and the OP has run exactly what you said to run.

If they had correctly set cookies, they have now been ruined by running that query and so that needs to be fixed before the proper issue is determined.

It would have been better to find out what the current settings were before suggesting a change to them. Your persistent eagerness for people to dive in to the database is a recipe for disaster.
Cheap UK Hosting

Nikola

Post by Nikola » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:55 pm

KevC wrote:You neglected to mention the bit underneath that stating you have to replace those sections of 'cookie domain goes here' etc and the OP has run exactly what you said to run.

If they had correctly set cookies, they have now been ruined by running that query and so that needs to be fixed before the proper issue is determined.
'cookie domain goes here' is not to be put in the query. They need to to put their own cookie information. Step before they were told to run the following query if phpbb_ is their prefix for tables if not they can use their own;

SELECT *
  FROM phpbb_config
 WHERE config_name LIKE '%cookie%';
Once they run the query, they will see information they need to put into query under suggestion #4.
- cookie domain goes here is not a domain, makes no sense and why is that being put into the SQL query? Their cookie_domain is ftononline.netThey need to run above said query to see the info they need for cookies.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:58 pm

NikolaCR wrote: 'cookie domain goes here' is not to be put in the query. They need to to put their own cookie information.
Yes but you didn't tell the OP that. You just assumed they knew it already. Therefore the exact query you told them to run removed all cookie info they already had so now there is no way to know if that was the issue or not.
Cheap UK Hosting

Nikola

Post by Nikola » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:36 pm

If you took DB backup as suggested, open it in notepad and do ctrl+f for cookie information you need. Once you find the info you need, you can run above and below said query. You need to search for these 4 variables;

1; cookie_domain

2; cookie_name; (you will see something like; (cookie_name','phpbb3_randomname',0) > phpbb3_randomname is name you need. Of course that won't be your cookie name, use yours. This is just example.)

3; cookie_path

4; cookie_secure
Given those information you can insert them in following query to restore them;
  • UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = 'ftononline.net' WHERE config_name = 'cookie_domain';
    UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = 'phpbb3_randomname' WHERE config_name = 'cookie_name';
    UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = '/ your cookie path' WHERE config_name = 'cookie_path';
    UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = '0' WHERE config_name = 'cookie_secure';
Double check those information and replace everything what is red colored with your info from the database. Do not run the exact query I wrote above, you will need to use your actual info. Hopefully, you took a backup as suggested.

Cable Player

Post by Cable Player » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:40 pm

Hi KevC,
I have fixed the cookie settings from the instructions you have provided. What should I do next?

NikolaCR, I prefer Notepad++
Opening it in notepad can break it/doesn't display it properly.

Thank you.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:48 pm

NikolaCR wrote:UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = 'ftononline.net' WHERE config_name = 'cookie_domain';
This is incorrect.
It should be
.ftononline.net
Cheap UK Hosting

Cable Player

Post by Cable Player » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:51 pm

KevC wrote:
NikolaCR wrote:UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = 'ftononline.net' WHERE config_name = 'cookie_domain';
This is incorrect.
It should be
.ftononline.net
Hi KevC, this isn't written to sound rude, I'm sorry but I don't know how else to write it: I've a reasonable knowledge of phpBB, I have been actively using it since 3.0.7 and understand cookie settings.
It's important to me to get this fixed as soon as possible, so will be only taking advice from staff members.

What would you suggest as the next step? Thank you
Last edited by Cable Player on Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nikola

Post by Nikola » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:01 pm

KevC wrote:
This is incorrect.
It should be
.ftononline.net
I've tested it on my server. It doesn't have a dot before nor it has one in the DB. But yeah, the leading period is what should be there*
Cable Player wrote:I'm sorry but I don't know how else to write it: I've a reasonable knowledge of phpBB, I have been actively using it since 3.0.7 and understand cookie settings
That's ok. But given that you have some portion of knowledge, you shouldn't ran non logical query. In any case, read through the topic and do what you must do. Good luck.

Nikola.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”