Changing my domain's directory

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
kam009

Changing my domain's directory

Post by kam009 »

Hello Everyone!

I am using phpbb version 3.1.5 and i have it working all fine.

Here is how my site is laid out. (ROOT/wordpress/phpbb)

As you can see i have a main wordpress site then inside the wordpress folder i have my phpbb folder.

Now because my domain is pointed to ROOT folder. I have to type my domain like this -> http://www.abc.com/wordpress/ to get to my wordpress site. The root folder is empty. And I use http://www.abc.com/wordpress/phpbb/ to get to my forum.

What i want to do is go to my hosting and change my domain to point to wordpress folder instead of ROOT. so that when i type http://www.abc.com it will go directly to my wordpress page. And when i type http://www.abc.com/phpbb/ it will go to my forum page.

My question is if i do that, will my phpbb forum be okay so would it break?

Thank you.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Changing my domain's directory

Post by stevemaury »

Move the /phpbb folder to the new domain root.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

kam009

Post by kam009 »

I am sorry but i don't understand. I don't want to move any folders. I just want to point my domain to the wordpress directory so it will be only domain/phpbb/ in the address bar. Can i do that? will phpbb break?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

I assume you can do it, but that would be part of your hosting, not your phpBB.
Changing the script path like that should not break your phpBB, unless you have the script path override checked on the Server Settings page.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

kam009 wrote:I am sorry but i don't understand. I don't want to move any folders. I just want to point my domain to the wordpress directory so it will be only domain/phpbb/ in the address bar. Can i do that? will phpbb break?
The easiest way to make ROOT/phpbb the URL to your board is to have the phpbb folder in the ROOT folder. Lots easier than fooling around with redirects and virtual domains. Make a /phpbb folder in the domain root, download all the conntents of the ROOT/wordpress/phpbb folder to your local computer and upload them to ROOT/phpbb. Easy. As Brf says, you will probably not have to change the paths in the ACP.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

kam009

Post by kam009 »

Brf wrote:I assume you can do it, but that would be part of your hosting, not your phpBB.
Changing the script path like that should not break your phpBB, unless you have the script path override checked on the Server Settings page.
stevemaury wrote:
kam009 wrote:I am sorry but i don't understand. I don't want to move any folders. I just want to point my domain to the wordpress directory so it will be only domain/phpbb/ in the address bar. Can i do that? will phpbb break?
The easiest way to make ROOT/phpbb the URL to your board is to have the phpbb folder in the ROOT folder. Lots easier than fooling around with redirects and virtual domains. Make a /phpbb folder in the domain root, download all the conntents of the ROOT/wordpress/phpbb folder to your local computer and upload them to ROOT/phpbb. Easy. As Brf says, you will probably not have to change the paths in the ACP.
You guys are awesome!!!! Thank you so much! :)

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”