PM Notify via email by default

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
janus_zonstraal

Re: PM Notify via email by default

Post by janus_zonstraal »

If the other 598 users had it already on 1 than it is OK ;)
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
promod

Post by promod »

janus_zonstraal wrote:If the other 598 users had it already on 1 than it is OK ;)
I'm afraid, that's not the case. :oops:

Then how can i make every existing users to be notified by default !
janus_zonstraal

You did that by running the query

You can check it in the table "phpbb_users" and look to row "user_notify"
promod

Post by promod »

Under database > phpbb_users > user_notify

default value is showing as 1
janus_zonstraal

And that is what you want ;)
promod

Post by promod »

1. We have a housing society association and have limited number of users (under 1000)
2. Society members are not at all familiar with web forum like 'phpbb' and used to communicate earlier through google group email chain.
3. We had a database of all housing society members email addresses so we added all users through "add user" extension and given them their 'username' ,'email address', and 'default password'
4. Even after this many are not 'logged in' for the first time. :oops:
5. The reason we choose 'phpbb' for arranging the discussion at a central point and other future developments in mind.
6. Now all members asking that they wanted to get the full content to be delivered on to their email inbox rather than keeping it in the forum and from there they wanted to post replies instead of login to the forum.

Now we have 3-4 types of members

1. Members added by the association and activated and never logged in
2. Members added by the association and activated and member logged in and never opted for notification by email/pm/post/replies.
3. Members registered by own and participated and never opted for notification by email/pm etc.
4. Members registered by own and participated and opted for notification by email/pm etc.

Earlier i have run the query through phpmyadmin

UPDATE phpbb_users SET user_notify = 1 WHERE user_type <> 2;

which resulted 0 raws effected ( of course i have a different table prefix and i have used the correct prefix after noted down from the config.php)

What query i need to run if i wanted to enable email notification for rest of the members which i described above.

Does the user_type <> 0; and user_type <> 1; query will help me anyway?

I'm running 3.17pl1
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

That only establishes the method of notification IF there is something to be notified of and unless they are subscribed to forums or topics, there won't be. And even if they are subscribed, a notification is only sent once there is one new topic or post, until the users visits. And the notifications do not contain content. And forcing unsolicited emails is spam.

A bulletin board is not a LISTSERV and it works by people logging in and reading the topics and posts.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
promod

Post by promod »

Ok Now i got it .. as this only allows members who already subscribed to the topic to get email notification.

Now i wanted to make the members to get subscribed by default to a forum in which new topics and replies are posted ! is it possible ?

It is kind of a 'boardwatch'...

The word 'SPAM' is not arising here as we have consent from all members.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

even if you set it up to automatically subscribe everyone to every forum/topic, they still will not get an email everytime a new post is made to the forum/topic.

phpbb only sends out one email if any new posts have been made. it does not send out an email for every post, just one. when the member visits they can read all the new posts and then leave. if one or more new posts are made they will get one new email about it. etc. etc.

also, the emails do NOT contain the text of the post at all.

the whole point of web based bulletin boards was to visit the website to read and reply.
'
if you still want to run a listserve you should probably choose something other than a web based script like phpbb.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
promod

Post by promod »

I understand the limitation of number of time email notifications are been send and by default text of the posts are not delivered.

But this has been taken care by 'Reply By email' extension.

Regarding web based bulletin board, in today's world everyone is depending up on notification. either in gmail, WhatsApp, telegram or Facebook etc.

User likes to get notification to know what's happening instead of visiting the site and checking manually. Even though they are visiting the site through notification.

I wish there was a smartphone app of phpbb to solve this (like tapatlk)

My question still remains: Whether 'subscribe by default to the forums' for all members are possible? If so what need to be done.
Bullseye!

Post by Bullseye! »

I managed to get topic reply notifications via by default to work on my board, but the part I never did get working was the one that sends an email out to notify the user of a PM by default, 3.0 I got it working, but for some reason no one has come up with a way to get it working in 3.1 & Lumpy it is not illegal, if it was illegal companies like FB would have been sued by now, as their PM alerts via email are always on by default, I had a bunch of people miss out on an event this weekend because they didn't get a notification to tell them they had a PM, now I know they should have checked the forum to see if they had an PM but we now live in an age where people need everything laid out for them, they won't look at anything unless they get a notification, in my opinion with most email services now having mobile apps that notify people upon receiving a private message, the phpbb forums would do well if this feature of PM alerts by default was made an extension...

~John~
ninowebs

Post by ninowebs »

then you may have a solution

this to default for all user

garfy

Post by garfy »

where to do this for all users?
I mean it is ridiculous that this site phpbb.com has email notifications enabled by default....but if you install it on your server and make your site then you cant enable default notification......can somebody sense stupidity here?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Users can enable email notifications if they wish. You have been told this can be done in the UCP. The philosophy of the default setting is to NOT impose unsolicited emails on users. This is called spam. Also, on large, active boards, this can produce email storms in excess of the host's email limitations.

These are the defaults in a new installation, and also on phpBB.com. Note that email is only sent when a user subscribes:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 12.19.34 PM.jpg
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
garfy

Post by garfy »

I never really subscribed...the box is ticked by default (on phpbb.com)
even if you declare it spam....we the admins should decide and have option to enable or disable it...

i really do not get it, why you impose this ideology on us about spam....we are the ones who will decide if it is spam or not...not you

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”