How to delete Notification after reading

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
peopleopinion

How to delete Notification after reading

Post by peopleopinion »

I want to delete a selected notification that are no more needed. But I can't find Any button to do it.
What I can do is just select them all and mark them as read. But nothing changes but the fact that the check box becomes unclickable.
Last edited by Mick on Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.
Puchahawa
Name: Randy

Re: How to delete Notification after reading

Post by Puchahawa »

There is a setting in the ACP under the general tab / load settings that says:

Read Notification Expiration: - Number of days that will elapse before a read notification will automatically be deleted. Set this value to 0 to make notifications permanent.

I have mine set to 5. :)
Avatar courtesy of artist Faith Coyotë
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Puchahawa wrote:There is a setting in the ACP under the general...
:arrow: Good to know but the problem is that I can't access the ACP of THIS forum, and I am a normal user not an admin.
Puchahawa wrote:... Set this value to 0 to make notifications permanent.
:arrow: I want to make them deletable not permanent.
Puchahawa wrote:I have mine set to 5
On Your board, but not here.
And if I don't read notifications for 6 days or I even don't login to my profile for a while what's up?

I think that the best way to go is to allow manual deletion item by item or that ones selected by their checkboxes, because could happen that users want to keep certain ones for more time and others terminates their usefulness just after reading.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

that is something you can not control on a board you don't own/have access to the admin panel.

you can choose to get notifications or not, email or not etc. but you can't delete them whenever you wish.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:that is something you can not control on a board you don't own/have access to the admin panel.

you can choose to get notifications or not, email or not etc. but you can't delete them whenever you wish.

robert
Understood: it is a feature that needs a bit more tuning... Because having notifications already seen and responded and no more needed doesn't make any sense. Of course could be sometime some notifications that the user needs for a long time. So the best way would be to allow the user to manage them as needed.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

peopleopinion wrote:Of course could be sometime some notifications that the user needs for a long time. So the best way would be to allow the user to manage them as needed.
That would really make it a reminder not a notification. That's what the bookmark option is for.

The notifications tell you something has happened, be it a PM or a post in a queue or a quote.

Once you've dealt with it, they go either the next time you log in or what ever time scale the admin has set. They're only meant to be short time notices of events.

You're talking about an entirely different and more complicated system.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
gambr

Post by gambr »

peopleopinion wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:57 am Understood: it is a feature that needs a bit more tuning... Because having notifications already seen and responded and no more needed doesn't make any sense. Of course could be sometime some notifications that the user needs for a long time. So the best way would be to allow the user to manage them as needed.
I agree. I have the same problem. For example notifications when a user requested activation. If I click on the notification and manage user activation then the notification disappears. But on the contrary when I click on the notification but I do not proceed with the user activation management then the notification remains. If later I access the ACP and activate the user the notification remains. Obviously it does not make much sense. So, isn't there a way to remove all notifications? I don't want to change my notification expiration settings!

Regards,
Gianni
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You could make an extension request.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
gambr

Post by gambr »

Hi Mick,
I'm still struggling to find similar extensions I had in 3.1.5 that now are not working in 3.2.1 that the notification issue is not a big problem.

Regards,
Gianni

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”