Require new users to, at least, view a rules page before posting

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
k3lt01

Require new users to, at least, view a rules page before posting

Post by k3lt01 »

Hi
I've just created a forum for a project I am working on. Having been a moderator (but never an administrator) on a couple of forums I have noticed many forums do not require new members to, at least, view a forum rules page before they make their 1st post. I would like to make all new users of my forum, at least, view a page of forum rules so they cannot argue if they get in trouble for bad behaviour. My question is how do I, as the forum administrator, make all new members, at least, view a forum rules page before they make their 1st post?

If this is not possible, or easy to do, are their other options?
Cheers.
Michael.
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: Require new users to, at least, view a rules page before posting

Post by Oyabun1 »

That can't be done with a standard board. Even if you know someone has visited the rules page it doesn't ensure that they have read or will abide by the rules.

You could make use of the built in Newly Registered Users group and the Newly Registered User Access role that would require post approval for the designated number of posts, the default is 3, but some find that 1 or 2 is sufficient to ensure that users are complying with the rules. You post an announcement telling users that they should read the rules before posting and that posts which don't comply with the rules will not be approved.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
k3lt01

Post by k3lt01 »

Oyabun1 wrote:That can't be done with a standard board.
OK.
Oyabun1 wrote:Even if you know someone has visited the rules page it doesn't ensure that they have read or will abide by the rules.
That is why the title of this topic is "Require new users to, at least, view a rules page before posting". Viewing doesn't mean reading but at least if they view it I can say they had an opportunity to read it and they chose not to.
Oyabun1 wrote:You could make use of the built in Newly Registered Users group and the Newly Registered User Access role that would require post approval for the designated number of posts, the default is 3, but some find that 1 or 2 is sufficient to ensure that users are complying with the rules.
I am aware of this function.
Oyabun1 wrote:You post an announcement telling users that they should read the rules before posting and that posts which don't comply with the rules will not be approved.
Done that but people can ignore announcements by not even going to the page they are on. I was hoping for an easy way to make people go to the rules page before they completed the registration process.

Thanks
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

they already have to go to the TOS page and accept it before they can continue the registration.

just edit the text for that page in your lanuage files .

roberrt
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:they already have to go to the TOS page and accept it before they can continue the registration.

Use the event instead core.ucp_register_agreement which allows the overwriting of the terms.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
k3lt01

Post by k3lt01 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:they already have to go to the TOS page and accept it before they can continue the registration.

roberrt
Thanks
RMcGirr83 wrote:

Use the event instead core.ucp_register_agreement which allows the overwriting of the terms.
Ok how do I do that? My website and forum are hosted by Crazy Domains, they install phpBB with an installer they use to install many things like phpBB and Wordpress.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Ok how do I do that?
Ask somebody to do it for you, if you don't have the skills to do it yourself.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

Have a look in the Extensions Database. If you can't find one that is suitable you could look in [3.1.x] Extensions in Development, but note that extensions in development are not intended for a live board. If there is nothing there you could have a look in [3.1.x] Extension Requests and if it hasn't already been requested make a request there.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
david63

Post by david63 »

You might be able to use the Login Redirect Extension
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”