How do I disable always approve by moderator

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
Ghiby
Name: Gabe

How do I disable always approve by moderator

Post by Ghiby »

Hi all,

I'm an admin for a phpBB forum, in a browser game (see my signature) and I have the following question:

How do I disable the always approve or reject a post by moderators? How do I make it so the users can post and their post will show without waiting for a moderator approval?

I've just installed the latest phpBB version 3.1.6, and it's all good so far, just we don't have yet a team of moderators to monitor the forum, but every time a user will post, the post awaits a moderator approval, before being in fact visible to the forum readers - we would like to at least temporarily disable this feature, as there is no need for us, at this time, to approve each and every post - we can monitor and moderate users posts after they are posted.

I assume it must be some kind of permissions setting for the registered users group, but I can't figure it out. Please point me in the right direction.

Thank you all in advance.
Last edited by Ghiby on Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out one of the best mafia & gang wars browser game on the net

Classified City
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: How do I disable always approve by moderator

Post by KevC »

To switch off the Newly Registered Users group
Administration Control Panel (ACP) > GENERAL tab > Board Configuration > User registration settings > New member post limit = 0

Then remove everyone form that group:
ACP > USERS AND GROUPS > Groups > Manage Groups > Newly registered users > Members > Group Members > Mark all > Remove member from group (from drop-down)
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Also make sure that the registered group isn't on moderation queue found under group forum permissions->post-> "Can post without approval" needs to be set to yes.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Ghiby

Post by Ghiby »

KevC wrote:To switch off the Newly Registered Users group
Administration Control Panel (ACP) > GENERAL tab > Board Configuration > User registration settings > New member post limit = 0

Then remove everyone form that group:
ACP > USERS AND GROUPS > Groups > Manage Groups > Newly registered users > Members > Group Members > Mark all > Remove member from group (from drop-down)
OK, I did that, new member post limit set to 0 and removed all members from the Newly registered users...

but is still requires moderator approval

I think is how Rich suggests in his answer bellow, but I can't find how to set "Can post without approval" to yes
Last edited by Ghiby on Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Classified City
Ghiby

Post by Ghiby »

RMcGirr83 wrote:Also make sure that the registered group isn't on moderation queue found under group forum permissions->post-> "Can post without approval" needs to be set to yes.
I think this is exactly my problem, but I can't find how to set the group "Can post without approval" to yes

we have more groups, the regular "Registered users" and also the "Staff" group for our development team - and for both groups, a post needs and awaits moderator approval - we in the Staff group are also set as moderators as well, so we can approve our own posts, but still is annoying, as any post or any edit on a existing post needs moderator approval.

So I think this is my problem, all the groups needs to be set "Can post without approval" to yes, but I can't find how to set change this setting to yes...

so, how do I do that?

if I go ACP > Permissions > Group forum permissions > check all forums > then submit, on the next screen I get

Setting permissions with

- a drop down for Select type "Forum permissions" or "Moderator permissions"

- then a list of all the forums already created and roles to be assigned, from No access, to Limited access and so forth up to Full access

but I can't find the setting to set a group with "Can post without approval" - yes

thank you

Classified City
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

The individual permissions only show after clicking on the It's in the Advanced Permissions link.

You can use the Permission Masks facility to View forum-based permissions for those forums and your username. It will be at least one group you are a member of which has the permission set to Never. Click the trace icon Image next to the permission to see the sources. If you don't understand what is being shown post an image of the trace page and somebody may be able to help.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
Ghiby

Post by Ghiby »

Oyabun1 wrote:The individual permissions only show after clicking on the It's in the Advanced Permissions link.

You can use the Permission Masks facility to View forum-based permissions for those forums and your username. It will be at least one group you are a member of which has the permission set to Never. Click the trace icon Image next to the permission to see the sources. If you don't understand what is being shown post an image of the trace page and somebody may be able to help.
OK, I found this Permissions Mask took and is great, I was able to trace my own permissions and I see that in all the forums, like any other user, I can "Never" post without approval, except the Admin default forum - and I am admin. I like this tool I can see is very helpful to trace any users permissions.

So, how do I change that, to make it "Yes" for all users in all the forums, so we all "can post without approval".

Thank you

Classified City
Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Post by Oyabun1 »

Depends where the Never is arising from.
Oyabun1 wrote:Click the trace icon Image next to the permission to see the sources. If you don't understand what is being shown post an image of the trace page and somebody may be able to help.
                      Support Request Template
Ghiby

Post by Ghiby »

Oyabun1 wrote:Depends where the Never is arising from.
Oyabun1 wrote:Click the trace icon Image next to the permission to see the sources. If you don't understand what is being shown post an image of the trace page and somebody may be able to help.
other than for the admin group, that is all set yes, all the other forums are either "no" or "never"

I could do a print screen and post a link if it will help

but we have quite a lot of forums in our structure and do I need to check that for each and every user? that can be tedious...

I was hoping I can set up someplace in the group permissions to post "without approval" - we definitely have less groups than forums and users, so I assume a per group setting will be faster, if possible

Classified City
Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Post by Oyabun1 »

We usually recommend using groups for assigning permissions because it quicker and easier.

The Never permission from any source overrides the Yes permission from any other source, see Permissions. So, depending on how you have the groups set up, that should probably be changed to No.
                      Support Request Template
Ghiby

Post by Ghiby »

Oyabun1 wrote:We usually recommend using groups for assigning permissions because it quicker and easier.

The Never permission from any source overrides the Yes permission from any other source, see Permissions. So, depending on how you have the groups set up, that should probably be changed to No.
OK, I completely agree..

yet, I'm still a bit confused, is not clear to me how do I set up a group permissions to "Post without approval" to "yes"

can you please give me step by step instructions? say for group "Registered users"

or, as a second option, if that will fit better, I can invite you to our forum, give you admin perms so I can see how you do it, to better understand first hand...

thanks much

Classified City
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

I'm happy to take a look if you PM me an admin login.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
Ghiby

Post by Ghiby »

OK, I think I found the problem,

my partner who installed the phpBB forum application on the server, somehow set the "Global moderators" group to "never" on all permissions and since I was also part of this group, I couldn't change the permissions from "On moderation queue" to something else, not even Standard access or similar...

So, I just removed myself from the Global Moderators group then changed every group - except admins - to Standard access so now it's "Post without approval" to "yes"...

now it's all good, problem solved, well except for my partner that is still in the Global moderator group, until he'll probably ask the same questions I did...

thank you all for your help and assistance in this matter

Classified City
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Don't take yourself out of that group. Just correct the permission.

It'll be in group forum permissions for the global mods and then look in the advanced permissions.
Cheap UK Hosting
Ghiby

Post by Ghiby »

KevC wrote:Don't take yourself out of that group. Just correct the permission.

It'll be in group forum permissions for the global mods and then look in the advanced permissions.
yes, I found that but the problem is that I cannot change it, now is "On moderation queue" but even if try to change it , say Full access, or Standards Access, and then "Apply all permissions" it won't save my changes - just for this Global modes group

my partner who installed the application on the server was in hurry and he's not very familiar with phpBB and he told me he got quite confused while messing around a bit... hehe...

Classified City

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”