Test user permissions not working - still retaining own/admin(?) rights

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
Caruanas

Test user permissions not working - still retaining own/admin(?) rights

Post by Caruanas »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.1.6
What is your board's URL? http://forum.pixiesoftware.com
Who do you host your board with? azure
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0.12
What styles do you currently have installed? default ones
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? Experienced with PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? n/a (need admin rights)
What password can be used to view this issue? n/a (need admin rights)
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? I had a 3.0.12, I followed the instructions on how to update from that to a 3.1.x board, and that's basically it.
Please describe your problem. I am noticing that when trying to "Test user's permissions", I still retain my own user's (administrative) permissions. For example, I am able to edit my own posts and moderate others, even if testing out a regular user's permissions. Logging in as a regular user works just fine though, so it's not my actual permission settings, but the "test permissions" feature.

Furthermore the board index does nothing to show that I am testing our user XYZ's permissions (like the 3.0.x used to show me)

However I do have the "restore permissions" option available, and when trying to visit the ACP I am not allowed and told to restore permissions first. So the "test permissions" is doing *something*...just not what I would expect it to do, having used it successfully in the past (under the old version).

I am worried that this might be due to me updating from a 3.0.x version and that something might be causing issues. I did clear the cache and follow the update instructions properly, but this behaviour looks weird to me.

Note: I noticed an error when running install/database_update.php during version upgrade. I ran the file it again and the error did not re-occur. But now I'm a bit paranoid, and have no idea how to check whether the database is clean/has bad data

Thanks in advance!
Generated by SRT Generator
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Test user permissions not working - still retaining own/admin(?) rights

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

what you describe is exactly the way the test user's permissions feature has always worked.

when doin that, you still retain your admin permissions. for that reason, I never understood the point of the feature to begin with.

as you have seen, the best way to do it is to create a test user and then log out as admin and in as the test user.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Caruanas

Re: Test user permissions not working - still retaining own/admin(?) rights

Post by Caruanas »

Oh, strange that I never noticed this in my old 3.0.12 board.

Well, this puts my mind at ease, as I was really worried that I messed something up in the update.

I also did notice one of your recent posts suggesting setting up different users for this purpose and I wholeheartedly agree! That is what I plan on doing.

Thanks! :)

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”