Actual Support - Is it available

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
jf3000

Actual Support - Is it available

Post by jf3000 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:03 am

Running a website with over 1.4 million active users and now introducing a forum and about to release to our followers, is there any support from the actual phpbb team themselves making sure that we don't run into any issues in case there is a problem with the forum. The last thing we need is the forum going down due to an error or something.

Is there any paid support available.

Thank you.

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Actual Support - Is it available

Post by david63 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:19 am

Support at phpBB is all done by volunteers as and when they have time.

One thing that I would say is that you have posted this in the 3.0 forum so I am assuming that the forum you are about to "release" is a 3.0 forum. With such a large user-base this, in my opinion, is a bit short sighted as 3.0 is EOL and all support for that version will cease at some point (no date has been announced but I would guess before the end of next year)

No one can ever ensure that you do not have problems with your board whether you have paid support or not. One advantage of phpBB support is that it is provided by all of the community which means that there is usually somebody on the board 24/7 unlike paid support where it would probably be "office hours"
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:07 pm

and there is almost always one or more phpbb staff online here.

if you have a phpbb board and the whole thing crashes it would not be the end of the world, it is just a bulletin board.

give phpbb a try. install it, play with it etc. etc. test out the support available here before you go live with the board etc.

be brave.

robert
I am going to be out of town and off line for a week . see ya when I get back.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

jf3000

Post by jf3000 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:51 pm

Have just been trying it and hosted with GoDaddy since our website is with them and haven't had any issues on that front but the forum side is another story, not pointing the finger at the forum for the issues probably more geared towards GoDaddy not being configured correctly, but just got this message just from trying to change a permission for the guests from a read to a no access.

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. Please contact the server administrator to inform of the time the error occurred and of anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

I honestly have no idea what caused the issue. But at this rate there is no way I am informing our followers of the forum if I am having these issues.

I do appreciate the feedback, thank you.

This post was meant to go into the 3.1 Forum

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:59 pm

That "Internal Server Error" is exactly that and nothing to do with phpBB.

If you read some of the topics on this board you will realise that there are many problems with Godaddy that do not happen with most other hosts. It seems, for some reason, Godaddy cannot configure their servers to work with phpBB - but nobody seems to know what the problem is (other than probably "peanuts and monkeys" syndrome)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

jf3000

Post by jf3000 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:34 pm

Its very disappointing. So if this sort of issue happens a lot which host is more suited for this forum before I open up a can of worms?

mandrake88

Post by mandrake88 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:48 pm

you can always can pay for support to a 3th party developer, there are plenty of people providing paid services for phpBB. If you wanted a "official" support, you should have go for a paid solution, you have to pay for a license, but they provide the support (in some cases, you should read before jumping in)

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:06 pm

jf3000 wrote:Its very disappointing. So if this sort of issue happens a lot which host is more suited for this forum before I open up a can of worms?
Have a look at the Hosting page on phpbb.com for hosting suggestions.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:45 pm

GoDaddy seems to have the same issues as 123-reg.co.uk, I can't even begin to explain the problems that they caused me. It seems they are both absolutely useless when it comes to hosting phpBB. After many years with 123-reg.co.uk they literally told me that their hosting wasn't suitable to run my board anymore! :?
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:56 pm

mandrake88 wrote:........ If you wanted a "official" support, you should have go for a paid solution, you have to pay for a license, but they provide the support (in some cases, you should read before jumping in)
I assume you must be talking about some other bulletin board software as there is no paid offical support available for phpbb nor any license that you can pay for.

robert

mandrake88

Post by mandrake88 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:58 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
mandrake88 wrote:........ If you wanted a "official" support, you should have go for a paid solution, you have to pay for a license, but they provide the support (in some cases, you should read before jumping in)
I assume you must be talking about some other bulletin board software as there is no paid offical support available for phpbb nor any license that you can pay for.

robert
yep, exactly

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:00 pm

jf3000 wrote:Its very disappointing. So if this sort of issue happens a lot which host is more suited for this forum before I open up a can of worms?
you would be better off moving your regular site ( along with phpbb) to just about anybody other than godaddy.

if all you have or need is a plain simple basic website then godaddy seems to be able to run those without problems.

however, anything else will likely eventually have problems and their support will be pretty much non existent.

if you can access your server error logs , see that caused the 500 error.

however, I have never seen trying to change permissions create any type of server error much less a 500.

it could be some strange mod_security setting they have but I am not sure how or why.

robert

jf3000

Post by jf3000 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:47 pm

Where does everyone host there own forum? Where is phpbb.com hosted?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:13 pm

suggesting hosts is not allowed. it is suggested that you go to someplace like http://webhostingtalk.com and and read up on reviews etc.

most hosts setup their servers correctly so that just about any type of web based scripts like phpbb will work properly. godaddy does not. they should have stayed in the domain name business that they are very good at. they are not very good at hosting I don't care how big they are.

anyway, personally, I always choose the cheapest hosting I can find. however, my boards are not very big or busy so I don't need much from a host. I also can't remember the last time I had to contact support with a hosting company so support is not really an issue for me.

your mileage will most likely vary.

robert

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:52 pm

phpBB is hosted by Oregon State University Open Source Lab. It is not available to the public.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”