Backing up Forum

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
pondrocket

Backing up Forum

Post by pondrocket »

I need to understand the best way to back up my phpBB forum 3.1.3 Should I back it up in the cpanel where my complete website and forum is or is it fine to just back up on the forum in the ACP and save to my computer. I have a large forum so I need to back up correctly so no info is lost.

Pondrocket
Last edited by pondrocket on Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Backing up Forum

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

go to cpanel, then go to phpmyadmin.

select your database and choose export.

choose custom

choose "add drop table"

choose "include column names in every INSERT statement "

save to a file on your computer.

use ftp, go to your board, copy all of the phpbb files and folders to your backup folder on your computer.

now, you have both. even if everything on the server goes away you are only a few clicks and a few minutes away from a complete recovery.

now, using cpanel backup to backup your whole site is also not a bad idea but that backup file will only help you if you are restoring your complete site to a host that is using CPanel.

cpanel is a hosting management software that most hosts ( but not all ) use for their customers.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
pondrocket

Post by pondrocket »

Robert,

Thanks for the info correct me if I'm wrong this is what I did

In cpanel went to phpmyadmin
Selected data base 1 have 7 there clicked on data base phpb810 which is one of the seven I have
Table comes up showing 70tables
Click export
Click custom
Check add drop table under Object creation options
Under data creation options check include column names in every INSERT Statement
Click go
Save to my computer

and what I just saved was my complete phpbb board correct?

The 2nd item I'm not understanding where you state use ftp and go to my board copy all phpbb files and folders? What do you mean by this?

Pondrocket

Pondrocket
Lumpy Burgertushie

as far as the database, that all sounds correct, just make sure you have the correct database for your board.

the database is different from your website files.

you use ftp to upload/download files to your website.

so, in order to have a complete backup you would need to backup both the database and the files.

if you do not have a ftp program or know how to use one then download filezilla and learn how to use it to connect to your server.

bottom line is , as long as you have the database backup you will be fine.

the files can always be replaced with new ones.

the only file that really matters is the config.php file which lets it connect to the database.

having said that, if you have attachments, avatars, etc. and you lose them without a backup they are not revcoverable.

robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Remember a backup is only useful until the next post on your board.

Best way is to make automatic backups every x hours.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
Paph

Post by Paph »

pondrocket wrote:The 2nd item I'm not understanding where you state use ftp and go to my board copy all phpbb files and folders? What do you mean by this?

Pondrocket
Did you use FTP to install your board? If so, as long as you didn't delete the files from your computer after uploading them via FTP, then you already have a backup, unless you've made some changes to any of those files.

If you've already deleted those files from your hard drive, just load your FTP program and download them back to your hard drive.

Edit 1: Never mind. I saw your other post about taking over the forum from someone else.
Hawk
janus_zonstraal

Did you use FTP to install your board? If so, as long as you didn't delete the files from your computer after uploading them via FTP, then you already have a backup, unless you've made some changes to any of those files.
:roll: :?:

And you don't care about images, files and avatars?
Paph

Post by Paph »

janus_zonstraal wrote:And you don't care about images, files and avatars?
Oh yea! I forgot about that. :oops: :lol:
Hawk
pondrocket

Post by pondrocket »

Everyone thanks for the input. I understand after you back up next post isn't covered so I figure about every 3-4 days to back up so if lost only couple days of post.

Pondrocket
janus_zonstraal

pondrocket wrote:Everyone thanks for the input. I understand after you back up next post isn't covered so I figure about every 3-4 days to back up so if lost only couple days of post.

Pondrocket
Why not every 6 hours?
pondrocket

Post by pondrocket »

That's to much. Also I don't care for auto backups due to what if board went down and I didn't see in time then backup occurred with nothing there?

Pondrocket
pondrocket

Post by pondrocket »

Robert,

Ok now I'm fully understanding the backup process. I can now back up my forum and save to my computer and disk or zipdrive. I also can back up my full site with FTP which I use Filezilla that took a while will only do once a year with entire website. Now my last question to complete this process. If site was to go down for some odd reason what is the process to re upload my backup to the board?

Pondrocket
janus_zonstraal

You have to save the files for a week if you make every 6 hours a backup, and than you can over write them.

A backup every year is nu backup, that is nothing.

How do you backup the database with filezilla??
Lumpy Burgertushie

janus_zonstraal wrote:You have to save the files for a week if you make every 6 hours a backup, and than you can over write them.

A backup every year is nu backup, that is nothing.

How do you backup the database with filezilla??

the only time you really need to backup the files is if you have changed something in them. if you have edited some of the files or if you have installed a new extension etc.
that is when you need to make a new file backup. If you have made no changes to the files since you installed the board, there is no reason for a backup of the files at all. even if you lose the whole board, you are only a few clicks away from a complete recovery as long as you have the database and internet access to be able to download a new set of files from here etc.

as for the database, how often you backup is up to you. it normally depends on how busy your board is and how paranoid you are about missing a few posts in your backup.

after all, backups are only for "just in case" something bad happens.

robert

janus_zonstraal

If you have made no changes to the files since you installed the board, there is no reason for a backup of the files at all.
Some boards have a lot of pictures avatars and files upload.

If you don't care about that than is a backup of the forum not necessary. only the database.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”