Replacing all core files...

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
zzafio

Replacing all core files...

Post by zzafio »

I have a phpBB forum (v 3.1.6) with no mods. I would like to replace all the core files before updating to the new 3.1.7-pl1 release.

Which files and directories should I keep from the old forum please? The config.php is important, I think, but which others must I keep (or not overwrite)?
"Don't write dirty words on walls
if you can't spell ..." (Tom Lehrer
)
Dragosvr92
Name: Dragos Valentin Rădulescu

Re: Replacing all core files...

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Why do that... you can simply use the update package to update the files.

Here is the update package: https://www.phpbb.com/files/release/php ... .7-pl1.zip
Just upload the files on your host and go to youtdomain.com/forum/install/ And follow the update steps.

You will need that package to update the database either way.

But if you want, delete everything, besides ext, files, images, styles folders, and the config.php file and re upload the core files. But i cant see the point of it.....
Formerly known as TheKiller
3.0| Avatar on Memberlist 1.0.3
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Dragosvr92 wrote: But if you want, delete everything, besides ext, files, images, styles folders, and the config.php file and re upload the core files. But i cant see the point of it.....
It's a standard way of updating. Nothing wrong with it. And you're guaranteed that you haven't missed anything or that there aren't any leftovers from something you may have added and forgotten about.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
zzafio

Post by zzafio »

I am suspicious that there may be some files or code in my old files that should not be in there. I recently fell victim to the recent Joomla exploit and want to do all I can to keep everything nice and clean.

Joomla is now fixed, and I am keen to also start afresh with the phpBB forum. Doing a little more work than necessary is my way of learning more about how everything works!

Many thanks for the help. I will follow your advice here:
But if you want, delete everything, besides ext, files, images, styles folders, and the config.php file and re upload the core files. ...
"Don't write dirty words on walls
if you can't spell ..." (Tom Lehrer
)

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”