Server Excecutions

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
Audigex

Server Excecutions

Post by Audigex » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:23 am

Hi All,

I run a relatively-but-not-excessively-busy phpBB forum which I've ran for around 8 years now.

I recently moved hosts from JustHost to Siteground. Had no problem with JustHost in terms of service, was just disappointed at their constantly hiked renewal prices doubling every time I came to renew. However, ran into a problem with Siteground already. Apparently my account was suspended the other day for "exceeding the monthly quota of 600000 program executions".

I'm incredibly disappointed with this. I spoke to their sales reps before hand and showed them my AWStats so they knew what sort of hits, visitors etc I was getting. I was wondering, do most hosts look at your script excecutions? I never had a problem with JustHost previously, they never limited or restricted my site. My Bandwith, CPU, Server Space, Inode Usage etc are all fine, it's just Account Executions which are too high for them.

Is it just that phpBB is fairly high in terms of script excecutions due to the nature of what it is? Is there anything I can do to reduce this. To be honest I've never known a host limit the number of script excecutions explicitly. PHPBB seems to be incredivly efficient so that even at its busiest CPU usage is never an issue.

Cheers
Ste

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Server Excecutions

Post by david63 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:34 am

I cannot say that I have heard of script executions being usage measure before - I suppose that it comes down to "reading the small print" before signing up.

If you have a "standard" phpBB board then I doubt that there is very much that you can do to reduce the number of script executions - do they have an analysis of which scripts are being executed? If so you could look at that and see where the problem lies.

The only other alternatives will be to either put your hand in your pocket and pay for a "higher spec" service (which may be part of the ploy) or move hosts to somewhere that does not have that restriction.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Audigex

Post by Audigex » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:44 am

Indeed, I know my last host never had an issue with it!

Interestingly I can't find anything here about it either, so it's not even something I could see in the small print:
https://www.siteground.co.uk/terms.htm

Looking in the stats:

Code: Select all

Disk Space Usage
 4,112.85 / 20480 MB

Inode Usage
68006/300000

CPU Time Usage Last 2h 
1309.27/4000 
CPU Time Usage Last 2h 
10053.82/20000 

Account Executions Last 2h
5472/4000 
Account Executions Last 24h
42568/20000 

And about 10-15GB bandwith per month.
So nothing that's particularly taxing or unreasonable, the CPU is absolutely fine so I'm not sure why they're anal about excecutions, the scripts are all efficient and quick so I can't imagine they'll affect the server or anyone else on it?

The top excecuted scripts are:

Code: Select all

/home/barrowaf/public_html/viewtopic.php 28 808 
/home/barrowaf/public_html/viewforum.php 6 940 
/home/barrowaf/public_html/download/file.php 5 526 
/home/barrowaf/public_html/index.php 4 633 
/home/barrowaf/public_html/app.php 3 657 
/home/barrowaf/public_html/ucp.php 1 558 
/home/barrowaf/public_html/memberlist.php 1 334 
/home/barrowaf/public_html/posting.php 1 165 
/home/barrowaf/public_html/mobiquo/avatar.php 992
So all standard stuff really. I've uninstalled tapatalk to get rid of any scripts that's pushing (I think that mobiquo is tapatalk) but other than that I imagine phpBB forums just have quite a lot of excecutions do they?

Paph

Post by Paph » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:51 pm

Audigex wrote: Interestingly I can't find anything here about it either, so it's not even something I could see in the small print:
https://www.siteground.co.uk/terms.htm
From this page of their ToS: https://www.siteground.co.uk/term/139.htm
Section D - Fair Use Policy

Our Fair Use Policy sets out certain limitations on the allocation of Server resources, aiming to allocate all our customers fair and adequate use of the Services. Details on the resource allocation are set on the Product Page for your Hosting Plan.

When using the Services, you will ensure that neither you nor any of your End Users make excessive use of the Server resources to SiteGround's detriment or that of our other customers. The term "excessive" is defined by our experience with similarly situated customers. Your account includes a control panel that provides statistics setting out your use of the resources associated with the Services. These statistics are the sole and exclusive method to determine whether your account has exceeded its allocated resources.

Unmetered traffic (bandwidth) applies to your use of web pages only (html, php, etc.), not to upload or storage of movies, pictures or music files. While we do not meter traffic, the maximum availability at any time will depend on current traffic usage and the technical specifications of our equipment. Certain Services have a fixed bandwidth allocation as set out on their Product Page. If in any calendar month your use of bandwidth exceeds that basic allocation, the Service will be limited and an overage fee may be charged if you wish to restore it. Unused bandwidth may not be carried over from month-to-month.

You agree that we have the sole right to decide what constitutes a violation of the Fair Use Policy and what is the appropriate severity of any corrective action to be applied. Failure on your part to maintain your account in full compliance with the TOS may result in warning, resource usage limitations, suspension or immediate account termination with no refund. You understand and agree that in the event of violation of the Fair Use Policy, we may provide you with a certain period of time to correct the issue. If you take no action during this period, we may apply corrective actions at our sole discretion. You acknowledge that we can immediately suspend and/or terminate each account that violates the Fair Use Policy and will not be responsible for any data loss resulting from such termination of Services.
Hawk

Audigex

Post by Audigex » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:02 pm

Well yeah but it doesn't really mention anything whatsoever about "executions" or page scripts, I've never seen a host explicitly meter and limit excecutions.

I don't think you can call quick, efficient page excecutions such as viewtopic.php excessive, when CPU/Bandwith/Inode/Disc Space quotas are all well within reasonable limits.

If they were long, complex, slow scripts that were hammering CPU or taking up a whole chunk of bandwith fair enough, but in this instance it seems insane.

cprgolds

Post by cprgolds » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:34 pm

This is nothing new. There can be all kinds of limits that sellers of shared hosting set. And they do this to basically protect the other users (which can be an incredible number) on the same server.

See this post form 2008. viewtopic.php?t=1292155 It goes into quite a bit of detail with your hosting provider.

One thing that might be happening is that you are getting a lot of hits from bots that are trying to log in. You can check your logs to see that.

It may be time to start looking for another host.

SteStory

Post by SteStory » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:52 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Done quite a bit of work on reducing the excecutions via CloudFlare, robots and htaccess to get rid of alot of unwanted traffic. I've seen on that link there's mention of honeypots to trap bot IPs for banning.

Is there anything like that for 3.1, or any other way of large-scale preventing bots from visiting the site?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:32 pm

try turning off cloudfare . that has been known to cause all sorts of strange problems.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

SteStory

Post by SteStory » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:33 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:try turning off cloudfare . that has been known to cause all sorts of strange problems.

robert
I've only just installed cloudflare in the last 24 hours and thats whats worked wonders for me in blocking traffic from overseas.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”