Ban frequent IP

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
J-W43

Ban frequent IP

Post by J-W43 »

One spammer with an email address ending in gmx.li has registered three times in 24 hours (but can't post because of post approval).

I've been deleting his membership without banning IP because I believe he receives an email advising him of the ban and I would prefer not to annoy him with a message.

My question is - if I delete him first, then ban the IP, does he receive a notification, if so, how, since his email has been deleted? I want to ban him by email, username or IP without sending him a message.
david63

Re: Ban frequent IP

Post by david63 »

Banning IP addresses is a somewhat pointless exercise as all a spammer needs to do is reboot their router and they will have a new IP address, that is if they are not operating behind a proxy.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

And it's not a person.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I could be wrong but I don't think the board sends any emails about being banned.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:I could be wrong but I don't think the board sends any emails about being banned.

robert
You aren't wrong, it doesn't.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Use the extension in my sig. If this is a human spammer then banning the IP would be prudent. No E-mail is sent on that.

If you have the option in the ACP to not reuse E-mail addresses than I wouldn't delete the user. That way he/she will have to keep creating a new E-mail address which would be a PITA for them. I had one user create constant accounts. I warned her and yet she persisted. I even don't allow E-mail reuse, but she would create tons of E-mail addresses. I was forced to allow registration by Admin only. I then banned her IPs in Cloudflare. And you can't connect directly to me due to my IP being blocked in htaccess. You have to go through Cloudflare. Even then you won't get my real IP. Cloudflare resolvers show the old one and the MX record doesn't exist. Just food for thought.

You can ban an IP in the ACP, or use this code in your htaccess:

Code: Select all

<Limit GET POST HEAD>
order allow,deny
allow from all
deny from 1.2.3.4  <---- your ip to ban
</Limit>
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
The nature of my chosen username
:ugeek:
J-W43

Post by J-W43 »

I used a * wildcard and accidentally banned a genuine user and I got an email within half an hour asking why he had been banned. I assumed he got an email, but perhaps it was just that he couldn't log in.

I may restart banning individual IPs because one IP has been used four times yesterday and today from Russia.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Banning IP's is mostly a waste of time, you'll have hundreds by the time you've done chasing this bot around and that can impact on the boards performance. Please post a link to your board.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
J-W43

Post by J-W43 »

Board is http://forum.dloc.co.uk/index.php I have most admin permissions but I'm not the Full Admin.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

The reason you're getting this issue is because you're using a CAPTCHA that was basically defeated when Methuselah left school. You should consider setting up the Q&A CAPTCHA as per Knowledge Base - How to configure Q&A CAPTCHA and making sure the Q&A you use CANNOT be Googled. You should also have a read of Preventing Spam in phpBB3 for other anti-spam ideas. With a correctly set Q&A up you won't need any third party add-ons and you're spam will stop.
Last edited by Mick on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
    " - Harmony Cobel
J-W43

Post by J-W43 »

You're right but most of our members are over 80 and some couldn't deal with the more complicated Captcha so the Full Admin changed it. I'll pass on your message.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

The Q&A isn't more complicated, it asks you a question and you answer it. Just because the users may be in their latter years doesn't mean they can't read and write? In any case, the Q&A will sort out the issue.
    " - Harmony Cobel
noth

Post by noth »

the usual IP is e.g 90.215.30.152

but now mobile phones have come along you get e.g. 2a02:c7d:260f:d00:2517:1984:2c2:43ce

I am used to banning the first, but can you add the second just as easy, will it work? will phpBB admin accept the second format?
david63

Post by david63 »

As far as I am aware phpBB is IPv6 compatible so it should work - try it and see.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
WelshPaul

Post by WelshPaul »

noth wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:53 pm but now mobile phones have come along you get e.g. 2a02:c7d:260f:d00:2517:1984:2c2:43ce
That's an IPv6 address and isn't exclusive to mobile phones.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”