Is there anyway to move pictures to another server?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
bsdmike

Is there anyway to move pictures to another server?

Post by bsdmike » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:27 am

I am using hostgator and I am getting dangergously close to the 100k inode limit..nearly 18 gigabytes of pictures. Is there any easy way I can move those pictures, say, to another cheap server so my backups don't stop?
Thank you,
Mike

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Is there anyway to move pictures to another server?

Post by david63 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:52 am

Easy way - probably not if you still want access to them via your board.

If space is the issue you will probably find it easiest to upgrade your hosting account, if you are happy with your current hosts, that trying to move elsewhere
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

k0nsl
Name: Eduard Drehner

Post by k0nsl » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:11 pm

Hi,

I don't know if it exists an easy way, as I haven't tried it myself. I am however in a similar position where uploads are becoming rather taxing on bandwidth and disk space.

@bsdmike: maybe you could request / inquire about a cdn extension for uploads? there are cheap Amazon S3 alternatives around which would be excellent for this particular purpose, and if S3 isn't your thing, maybe you could request additional functionality such as sFTP/FTP and you can create your own pseudo-cdn, or at the very least some type of offloading...

That's just a thought.

Best wishes,
-k0nsl
bsdmike wrote:I am using hostgator and I am getting dangergously close to the 100k inode limit..nearly 18 gigabytes of pictures. Is there any easy way I can move those pictures, say, to another cheap server so my backups don't stop?
Thank you,
Mike
I'm a programmer, server administrator, designer, spokesman and factotum of a wide-variety of web pages.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:39 pm

Whilst that would be an answer to the storage problem any moving of files away from the phpBB installation would almost certainly break the links, which would defeat the object of the exercise - as do that you could just as easily delete them as it would have the same affect.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”