3.1.9 New Install - Cant Set Up Categories and Forums

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: 3.1.9 New Install - Cant Set Up Categories and Forums

Post by stevemaury » Sun May 08, 2016 5:05 pm

5hocK wrote:Trouble is
You need to copy or set appropriate permissions for newly created forums to have them displayed
Means absolutely nothing to anyone first starting out with phpBB - Permissions? There's no mention of users/visitors/guests....
They could possibly try reading the documentation before plunging into board configuration? Or at least upon encountering a term with which they are unfamiliar?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

juliokr

Post by juliokr » Sun May 08, 2016 5:45 pm

stevemaury wrote:
You need to copy or set appropriate permissions for newly created forums to have them displayed
Means absolutely nothing to anyone first starting out with phpBB - Permissions? There's no mention of users/visitors/guests....
They could possibly try reading the documentation before plunging into board configuration? Or at least upon encountering a term with which they are unfamiliar?
No really who likes to read the whole documentation before trying a new toy ?
I never do this I only have a look in it when nothing works

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sun May 08, 2016 5:51 pm

Then suggest a RFC on area51
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

5hocK

Post by 5hocK » Sun May 08, 2016 6:06 pm

To me if you don't set permissions then a default set of permissions should be set (Guests - read only, Bots - Bot access etc)- Not no permissions at all.
A thread is pretty much a topic. Stop with the pedantics will ya.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun May 08, 2016 6:10 pm

that is a great idea... oh wait, that is what the default category/forum is setup like. that is why it is there and why the option ( pretty well documented) is there to copy permissions.

you simply copy permissions from the existing default category/forum to the new ones you create.

you can never explain things enough to satisfy everyone. there has to be a point where you have to assume that the user is smart enough to understand. then, you provide support for those few that don't quite get it no matter how many times you explain it in the documentation etc.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

5hocK

Post by 5hocK » Sun May 08, 2016 6:12 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:that is a great idea... oh wait, that is what the default category/forum is setup like. that is why it is there and why the option ( pretty well documented) is there to copy permissions.
That is not what I'm talking about and you know it.
Trouble is that a lot of people here are too far up the learning ladder and the curve is so great you no longer see the 1st rung.
RFC is probably a good way to go - If only to get away from the negative base attitude that you find on this main board.

juliokr

Post by juliokr » Sun May 08, 2016 6:30 pm

5hocK wrote:To me if you don't set permissions then a default set of permissions should be set (Guests - read only, Bots - Bot access etc)- Not no permissions at all.
That's a good idea. And I tried, it seems really be possible to give bots "full access" :D Looks like a joke

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun May 08, 2016 6:37 pm

5hocK wrote:
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:that is a great idea... oh wait, that is what the default category/forum is setup like. that is why it is there and why the option ( pretty well documented) is there to copy permissions.
That is not what I'm talking about and you know it.
Trouble is that a lot of people here are too far up the learning ladder and the curve is so great you no longer see the 1st rung.
RFC is probably a good way to go - If only to get away from the negative base attitude that you find on this main board.
the point is that what you are talking about is already available, it is explained about as simply as you can do without writing a book about how to do the basic thing of copying permissions from the example given to whatever new forums you desire.

robert

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun May 08, 2016 6:40 pm

juliokr wrote:
5hocK wrote:To me if you don't set permissions then a default set of permissions should be set (Guests - read only, Bots - Bot access etc)- Not no permissions at all.
That's a good idea. And I tried, it seems really be possible to give bots "full access" :D Looks like a joke
no, you can give the bots group whatever permissions you desire. they do not have "full access" by default.
they have "bot access" as a role by default. however, you can certainly change any and all permissions that bots have in any way you desire.

permisions>group permissions>bots>forums you wish>click on advanced permissions and go to town.

robert

5hocK

Post by 5hocK » Sun May 08, 2016 6:47 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:the point is that what you are talking about is already available, it is explained about as simply as you can do without writing a book about how to do the basic thing of copying permissions from the example given to whatever new forums you desire.

robert
....and if it's ever overlooked? (It must rank in the top 10 of all questions here at phpBB) - Would it not be user friendly to have a set of default permissions used instead of no permissions?
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: they do not have "full access" by default. they have "bot access" as a role by default.
By default they have
botdefault.png
I rest my case.

juliokr

Post by juliokr » Sun May 08, 2016 7:43 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
juliokr wrote:
no, you can give the bots group whatever permissions you desire. they do not have "full access" by default.
they have "bot access" as a role by default. however, you can certainly change any and all permissions that bots have in any way you desire.

permisions>group permissions>bots>forums you wish>click on advanced permissions and go to town.

robert
I didn't write by they do have "full access" by default. But isn't it a little stupid that it would be maybe possible to give bots even "admin rights" ? They would maybe love it :D

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Sun May 08, 2016 7:46 pm

Bots can't log in without a password, which they don't have, so all these permission issues are moot. Also pretty sure they can't type.

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Sun May 08, 2016 7:54 pm

5hocK wrote:[ (It must rank in the top 10 of all questions here at phpBB)
Not even in the top one percent.
5hocK wrote: I rest my case.
By default, the Bots group has exactly the same forum permissions as every group - All Nos. Since that set is not a defined role, they have, by definition, "No role defined:". Like every group.

That is why, for any group to see a forum, permissions must be set.

Why don't you post an RFC for how you think it ought to work and how and where it ought to be documented? This is, after all, open source software.

5hocK

Post by 5hocK » Sun May 08, 2016 8:36 pm

stevemaury wrote:Not even in the top one percent.
There's a list? :ugeek:
stevemaury wrote:That is why, for any group to see a forum, permissions must be set.
Yeah I understand how it works.
stevemaury wrote:Why don't you post an RFC for how you think it ought to work
phpBB reminds me of a quote from a comedy series - The big bang theory
"My new computer came with Windows 7. Windows 7 is much more user friendly than Windows Vista. I don't like that."

GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc » Tue May 10, 2016 4:14 pm

So, do you want to complain, or do you want to help making it better? Everyone here is a volunteer, you know, the developers included ;)

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”