Slow response to 'posts'

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
colinshead

Slow response to 'posts'

Post by colinshead » Tue May 31, 2016 4:58 pm

Hi

My 3.1.19 site has 500 plus users, and has become slow when submitting a post. I am pretty certain that this has to do with notification e-mails, as varying the ACP setting 'Email package size' does have a marked effect.

Question, what does 'Email package size' actually do? Currently I have it set to 10, so presumably notification emails will be processed and sent in batches of 10. Now given there maybe 500 notification e-mails to process when a user posts a new topic or reply, how long will this take, and can I be sure that all notifications will eventually be sent?

I am using a SMTP server to send emails, this is hard limited by my ISP to 500 emails per hour, any more than 500 an hour are simply dropped (according to my ISP support desk).

Your advice will be appreciated.

All the best

Colin

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Slow response to 'posts'

Post by stevemaury » Tue May 31, 2016 4:59 pm

Do you have some sort of extension or other modification that subscribes all users to all forums/topics?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

3Di
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Tue May 31, 2016 5:11 pm

Set email package size to 0 (zero) in ACP. purge the cache and report, thanks.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user

cprgolds

Post by cprgolds » Tue May 31, 2016 9:03 pm

What makes you think it is the email notifications? Are you really sending out that many notifications?

How about more info on db size, type of hosting, etc.

5hocK

Post by 5hocK » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:59 am

colinshead wrote:I am using a SMTP server to send emails, this is hard limited by my ISP
I'm guessing you're self hosting then? Have you checked your overall speed - http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/
You might well be a lot slower than you think all round and it's being highlighted when you post.
I think it's been noted that larger sites (including this one) have this problem and that it's linked to notifications.
A thread is pretty much a topic. Stop with the pedantics will ya.

colinshead

Post by colinshead » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:02 am

Hi

There is no extension that causes users to be routinely subscribed to topics, but the nature of the forum means that many users will have subscribed.

No I cannot be sure how many notification emails are being sent.

In the past I always operated with email package size to 0 (zero) in ACP. Post response times have occasionally been as slow as 30 seconds, more typically 10 seconds. Setting the email package size to 10 caused an immediate improvement, with typical post response times around 2 seconds. Obviously post response times are subject to a host of variables, including the load on the server at the time (it is a shared server), number of users active on the forum, Internet performance etc. etc.

My question relates to how the email package size functionality actually operates, and can I be sure that setting the email package size to something other than 0 will still allow all notification emails to be sent, and in what time frame ? At this time I am not concerned about post response times which are OK. Maybe I should have reflected the question more accurately in the Subject line of this topic.

All the best

Colin

5hocK

Post by 5hocK » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:11 am

colinshead wrote:(it is a shared server)
Ignore my post above, your mentioning of your Internet Service Provider threw me out.
A thread is pretty much a topic. Stop with the pedantics will ya.

colinshead

Post by colinshead » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:15 am

Hi again

I am using a shared server hosted by Zen Internet.

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/ this morning shows a load time of 2.61 seconds. Obviously this does not test the posting performance.

I do routinely use https://uptimerobot.com to monitor the forum, latest results in the attachment, which show an average first response time of about 2 seconds.

By the way the recent downtime was caused when I was upgrading to 3.1.19, the reliability of the Zen shared server is excellent.

All best

Colin
Attachments
uptime.pdf
(81.65 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

John connor

Post by John connor » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:37 am

3.1.19?

colinshead

Post by colinshead » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:47 pm

Oh dear another senior moment, actually 3.1.9!

All best

Colin

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”