Menu Buttons in 3.1.9

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
Trekky
Name: Lesley Reed

Menu Buttons in 3.1.9

Post by Trekky » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:07 pm

Hi everyone,

As ever this community has been brilliant at helping me resolve some issues. I am just experimenting with changing my test forum over to 3.1.9 from 3.0.9 and clearing out a few cobwebs in my brain having not touched my website or forum in 2 years or more :?

So far the change has gone smoothly with only a couple minor hiccups to scare me that some great support forum members have helped me resolve enough that I feel almost ready to take the leap of faith on my actual forum and website.

However I still have a couple big (or not so big) worries about possible changes that may need tacklling...

1) I have learnt to read HTML enough to incorporite my website pages into the main forum program (please take a look at my home page to see what I mean:- http://www.ukpouchies.co.uk/forum/home.php ).
I think having looked at the 'Pages' extension this might be the way to go regards still incorperating these webpages unless I can add the existing files as I had before...? :?

2) the other thing is the menu buttons I have at the top to take you to the webite pages. These were added with some code changes and a few extra files but again not sure if thiscan be done with 3.1.9 or whether there is a extension that anyone has come up with that can take its place?

As ever Ilook forward to all your feedback and suggestions and thank you in advance :D

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Re: Menu Buttons in 3.1.9

Post by bonelifer » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:51 pm

2) Was it a mod you downloaded?
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .

Trekky

Post by Trekky » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:18 am

If I recall it was just some extra files uploaded and some code added. I don't think looking at it I used a MOD. There was a MOD that would do the same thing that made changing the links easier but I could never get it to work properly on my forum so opted for the file edit way

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:23 am

just add your custom php and html files to your test 3.1 board just like you did in the old one.

check that they work correctly, they should.

for the menu. there is a extension in development for the button menu. the only problem with it is that it is not responsive. that means it will not reduce down properly when using a phone or tablet device.

however, I think that I have posted instructions on how to add that menu just like they do it here at phpbb.com.

if you are interested, let me know and I will look it up for you.
'
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Trekky

Post by Trekky » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:25 am

That information would be great thank you :D

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by bonelifer » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:09 am

It'd be easier to make a blank extension that has events code, then include your old code. If you could supply me with the files and code edits I could try and put that together. This way it would always survive updates to the core phpBB files.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:54 am

I saw this the other day which I thought looked quite cool and works nicely. There used to be a 3.0 mod that added a button system similar in looks to here but I'm almost 100% it hasn't been ported over but could be wrong. The best place to look would be in the extensions forums and, if you don't find what you need you can make an extension request.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Trekky

Post by Trekky » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:07 pm

Thanks for that information will give it a try and see how it looks/works.
Have tried moving everything over from my current menu bar and just can't get it to work quite right but I am not sure if I have found all files needed as I can no longer find the instructions how to install it :?

Trekky

Post by Trekky » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:47 pm

I have tried adding this to the test forum to see how it looked and worked but no success. The instal seemed to go smoothly but no sign of the Tabs or options to set them up... Back to the drawing board :?

bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by bonelifer » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:50 pm

Trekky wrote:I have tried adding this to the test forum to see how it looked and worked but no success. The instal seemed to go smoothly but no sign of the Tabs or options to set them up... Back to the drawing board :?
bonelifer wrote:It'd be easier to make a blank extension that has events code, then include your old code. If you could supply me with the files and code edits I could try and put that together. This way it would always survive updates to the core phpBB files.

Trekky

Post by Trekky » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:24 am

bonelifer wrote:It'd be easier to make a blank extension that has events code, then include your old code. If you could supply me with the files and code edits I could try and put that together. This way it would always survive updates to the core phpBB files.
Thank you, I really appreciate you offering to do this but I really can't remember what all the edits were that I made. I have found the code I used to add the overall_header and found the files and some css files that I know were linked to them but I can't remember if that was all the edits and files and I can't find the topic it edit suggestions came from either.

I have come up with a temporary solution using the board3 portal ext. In the meantime I will have another look through my old directories and files (I downloaded them all before upgrading the main forum :D )

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:40 am

Trekky wrote:I have tried adding this to the test forum to see how it looked and worked but no success
Hmmm:
one.png
one.png (57.98 KiB) Viewed 275 times
two.png
two.png (48.33 KiB) Viewed 275 times
Are you sure you installed it correctly, as you see above it works fine?

Trekky

Post by Trekky » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:24 am

I thought I had but I will have to have another look to see what I might of did wrong.
It came up in the extensions list but when I enabled it nothing seemed to happen.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:44 am

Full install and uninstall instructions are in README.md.

Puchahawa
Name: Randy

Post by Puchahawa » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:08 pm

Trekky wrote:I thought I had but I will have to have another look to see what I might of did wrong.
It came up in the extensions list but when I enabled it nothing seemed to happen.
Hi Trekky! Do you have multiple categories set up with forums under them? It's pretty subtle so may not be obvious if only one category is set. Look just above the first (top) category. Might be worth noting that it only shows on the boards index page.

I just loaded the tabs extension to my 3.1.9 test board that had only one category and the tab showed. I then added a few more categories and the additional tabs showed also.

It's possible your style may be having an issue with it. What style are you using? I've tested on prosilver and Aero black without an issue. ;)
tabs2.PNG
Avatar courtesy of artist Faith Coyotë

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”