Notification settings won't stay changed

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
CarolC1

Notification settings won't stay changed

Post by CarolC1 »

This is happening on a 3.1.9 board, but I seem to be having the same problem here on the phpbb.com website.

I have tried IE and Firefox. Refreshing makes no difference.

If I click Notifications in the navbar and then Settings, it presents some default settings. If I uncheck and check various ones according to preference and submit, then view settings again, the changes did not take effect. If I unmark all and submit, that works, I get a completely unchecked form. However once all are unmarked and submitted, if I take the completely unchecked form and check some of the boxes and submit, the changes do not take effect. It does not return to the completely unmarked form, it seems to be going back to the defaults again.

On 3.1.9 if I uncheck all and check only to be notified by email if I get a PM, and submit, then view settings again, I see it has 2 checkmarks, one in the Email column and one in the Notifications column, but I only marked the Email column. If I uncheck the Notifications column in a further attempt to only be notified of a PM by email, and submit and check settings again, both columns are still checked. The same thing happens here on phpbb.com.

It is not entirely consistent in what it does every time. Seems more likely to go back to defaults if you check a bunch of boxes.

How do I get the Notifications settings to change and stay changed? :?
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: Notification settings won't stay changed

Post by JimA »

This in intentional in the 3.1.x line. It has been reported before but in this version it is not possible to be notified by e-mail but not by notifications. You can choose to be notified only by notifications, but you can't choose to be notified only by e-mail, this due to infrastructural limitations.

However, in the upcoming 3.2.x line, the notifications system has completely been re-done from a coding perspective and this problem will be fixed. :)
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
CarolC1

Re: Notification settings won't stay changed

Post by CarolC1 »

Thank you! :)

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”