Hide Forum Entirely

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
Smartchic

Hide Forum Entirely

Post by Smartchic »

Hello, I have a quick question. I am currently designing my forum but I do not want it visible to guest. I have already disabled the permissions for guest to see the forums, however, what I'm looking from is to completely remove the forum from visibility.

I do not want people to be able to come to the forum and see the different changes (colors, fonts, etc) that I'm making. Is there a way to have just a page that says, "under maintenance" or something of that nature, without any part of the forum visible? Or when you come to my url, it goes to a blank page that says, under maintenance.

Thank you!
david63

Re: Hide Forum Entirely

Post by david63 »

Just disable the forum in the ACP. You as Admin will still have access but nobody else will.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Smartchic

Post by Smartchic »

Thank you for the feedback. I'm starting to think what I'm wanting to do is not available. I wasn't able to find the answer in the forum as well.. but I'll try to explain further.

I have disabled all groups as well as the forum, however, my forum is still visible. What I mean by visible is, if someone was to randomly run across my url, they could see my forum. They are not able to see any content created, however, the forum is still visible to them. They can see the forum structure, logo, fonts, colors, etc.

While I'm designing my forum, making changes etc., I do not want this visible to the public. Right now, even in disabled mode someone can visit my forum everyday and see the "cosmetic" changes I've made.

Is there a way to make my forum invisible? Meaning, if you go to my URL, you will not see a forum at all. Maybe just a blank white page that says, Maintenance, or Under Construction?

I hope that makes more sense. Thank you!
Pond Life

Post by Pond Life »

If you're on an apache server you could use .htaccess to redirect any traffic not from your IP address.
https://perishablepress.com/htaccess-re ... e-updates/
Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

He means not just himself; he means everyone in the world.

What I have done is to use templates switches in index_ body.html to make everything but the login area not visible to users not logged in, including the header and footer.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Pond Life

Post by Pond Life »

The .htaccess trick should do what he/she wants, redirect the rest of the world to a static page while allowing him/her to access the forum.

Another option would be to password protect the folder containing the forum.
Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
david63

Post by david63 »

By far the easiest way is to "develop" the site on your local server and then upload it to your online server
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

I was thinking the question was, he has a board that some people can access, but he wants nonmembers to see nothing (except a login). He may be back to clarify.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Smartchic

Post by Smartchic »

Yes, that is correct. When they come to the forum, I wan't them to see nothing but a login screen. No forum at all :) Thank you!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

very confusing. do you want members to be able to access the board ? saying you only want a login form means that once logged in, they would be able to see the board as members.

however, before, you said you did not want anyone but you to be able to see any of the board while you are working on it.

please explain exactly what you are trying to accomplish and why so we can understand what you need and can help you achieve it.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”