My host flagged the cache folder as a security risk?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
dpaanlka

My host flagged the cache folder as a security risk?

Post by dpaanlka » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:21 pm

I installed a brand new, clean 3.1.2 board last week. Today I got the following message from my host (DreamHost):
Unfortunately, we found some potential indications that your website(s) *may* be compromised.

The following files/directories had insecure permissions (777), which
have been remediated.

/info-mac.org/cache
Later I spoke with support and they said the cache directory permissions were the only problem identified by their automated system. The directory's permissions are now 755. I looked around a little bit on the server and don't see anything else that is 777. Visiting my board, it also seems to be unaffected.

My question is, does this look like anything I should be alarmed about? What are the default permissions for cache/ supposed to be?

Thanks!
phpBB user and evangelist since 2005.
My boards: Info-Mac | System 7 Today

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: My host flagged the cache folder as a security risk?

Post by JimA » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:33 pm

No, having cache (amongst some other folders) at 777 is normal and a requirement for running phpBB.
Have a read of this article and direct your host to it if necessary: KB - phpBB3 Chmod Permissions
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

dpaanlka

Post by dpaanlka » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:09 pm

Thank you so much for your quick response. I will pass this information along to them.
phpBB user and evangelist since 2005.
My boards: Info-Mac | System 7 Today

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:16 pm

JimA wrote:No, having cache (amongst some other folders) at 777 is normal and a requirement for running phpBB.
Actually, 755 should work fine if the Anonymous Internet user is the owner of the folders that are normally set to 777. That should be something your host can arrange if they are concerned with the 777 permissions.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”