Board Reinstalled - Image Attachments Issue

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
FrankRaso

Board Reinstalled - Image Attachments Issue

Post by FrankRaso » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:48 am

My site got hacked a couple of days ago and I'm been uploading clean versions of my software to ensure that there are no hidden scripts. The hack appears to have been in my Joomla software and my forum does not appear to have been affected but I'm doing this to be safe.

In a subdomain, I have phpBB v3.1.10 that was working properly. I renamed my original forum directory as "oldforum" and downloaded all of the forum's files to my PC for backup. I then created a new directory corresponding to my original forum subdomain and uploaded the v3.1.10 full installation package to that directory. I then copied back the /files and /ext directories as well as the config.php file from my PC.

I learned that FileZilla corrupts the image files in /files unless binary transfer is used. Luckily, I could still copy /files from oldforum.

Both forums use the same database and I can open both simultaneously. The image attachments in the new forum work properly for the most part, both for thumbnails and full images.

However, for one topic, the thumbnails do not appear in the new forum. When I click on the attachment marker, most of the full size images appear properly. In one post in a topic in the new forum, IMG_1025.JPG appears corrupted in full size while IMG_1024.JPG appears properly. Both of the those 2 images appear properly in oldforum. How can I fix this problem?

I see that in 2014 post Re: Changed thumbnail width - regenerate/resize all thumbnai, there is a script for recreating all thumbnails. Does this script work for v3.1.10?

nya

Re: Board Reinstalled - Image Attachments Issue

Post by nya » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:18 am

Check if you can use Attachments at all.

I've got same problem.

Zylantex

Post by Zylantex » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:07 pm

Don't forget to check the size settings allowed for the attachments. A fresh install could have put them back to the system defaults. If you had changed the default values in your old forum this might cause problems.

nya

Post by nya » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:32 pm

What to do if i can't enter to Attachment Settings in ACP, only in that section?

I've got ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED.

All other things are ok.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:37 pm

Try using another browser.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

nya

Post by nya » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:43 pm

IE "can't show that page"
Chrome - ERR_CONTENT_DECODING_FAILED
Mozilla - Error.

I've got that problem just right after migrate to VPS.

i think everything i need is to modify path to "files" but i don't know where or which file i need to edit. :(
And can't reach it through ACP.

I'm trying to find out it by file-to-file searching. Cuz have no idea where it lies.

Does anybody know where phpbb saves path to attachment directory?
3.1.10 Latest release. All exts are off. Permissions 777 to default files dir.

VPS support said that's internal phpbb issue and they can't help me with that. ACP crushes when I'm trying to enter the attachment settings page.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:11 pm

nya wrote:I've got that problem just right after migrate to VPS
That would seem to be your issue then. Are you sure the images were good before you uploaded them and did you see Knowledge Base - Transferring attachment files with Filezilla?

nya

Post by nya » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:38 pm

Mick wrote:Are you sure the images were good before you uploaded them and did you see Knowledge Base - Transferring attachment files with Filezilla?
Yes. I did.
Files are ok. All of them shows correctly. I have only issue with entering ACP->General->Attachment settings. Also with ACP->Posts->Attachment settings.

Moreover, the previous host didn't accept ASCII transfer.

But thanks for attention.

nya

Post by nya » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:27 pm

Ok, i will try to explain more precisely.

1) The problem happens after moving from shared host to VPS host.
2) The previous system was Ubuntu + apache. Current - CentOS + nginx + apache.
3) All exts are off.
4) I have no issues with images, corrupted files or so (because of the direct image of the disk). All images in all topics are shown correct.
5) I have 3.1.10 without any changes.
6) I have a custom style, but there is no problem 100% because crash happens only in the ACP and only at the General->Atachment Settings section when i press it. With any style enabled. All others things are working perfectly.
7) The problem appears in any browser.
8) There is no more info because ACP crashes without any information.

I count that's only way is wrong paths inside of phpbb somewhere. Because it is the only thing that has a difference between old host and new. I have them both at working state.

So i have 1 question.
Where i can modify these paths? Like in manual mode or so. Is it in PHPMyAdmin, or somewhere in files?

Like i need to change path from "bla/bla/forum/files" to "bla/blabla/trololo/bla/forum/files" manually.
Does anybody know where it lies to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:07 pm

not sure what your problem is but I think you are fixated on this being it. the path to everything in phpbb is based on the root path. since the board is working otherwise, then all of the paths in the code of phpbb are working as they should. there is no path for the "file" folder that is any different than the paths to every other folder/file within phpbb unless you personally somehow changed it before. since you do not know how to do that it is most likely not the case.

try uploading all the files in the adm folder again.

I have seen some reports of problems running phpbb on servers with nginx before but I don't know if this is
one of those cases.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

FrankRaso

Post by FrankRaso » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:57 pm

Going back to MY issue, I have 2 seemingly identical unmodded v3.1.10 boards on the same server using the same files and database yet the newly installed board does not display an image correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would cause this discrepancy?

nya

Post by nya » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:11 am

FrankRaso wrote:Going back to MY issue, I have 2 seemingly identical unmodded v3.1.10 boards on the same server using the same files and database yet the newly installed board does not display an image correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would cause this discrepancy?
I'm sorry for carrying topic to the another issue.

As i think you really have a problem with ASCII transfer.
When forum doesn't show images, usually it was wrong FileZilla transfer mode. You need to retransfer all your images with ASCII mode turned off and binary mode turned on.

Or use another FTP client. It is a well-known issue with FileZilla.
Or simply do a direct-disk-image copy. There are many possibilities on operating systems to do it.

FrankRaso

Post by FrankRaso » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:43 pm

I suspected there was an issue with FileZilla when I tried to examine the files in /files downloaded onto my PC. After I saw that they were corrupted, I discovered the image transmission issue with FileZilla. Luckily, since I had first changed the forum directory name, I still had all of the original image files. I copied those over from the old directory to the new directory via cPanel's File Manager. That solved the majority of the image issues.

I switched FileZilla from auto transfer mode to binary and downloaded the /File directory once again to my PC. Once downloaded this way, I picked a file and gave it a jpg file extension. That file now displayed correctly as an image on my PC.

Last night, I got to thinking about why most of the image files displayed correctly in the forum except for the ones in a particular topic. I had cleared the forum cache several times while trying to get my forum back online so I thought that there might have been some other issue in the board reinstallation that I had overlooked.

This morning, I cleared the forum cache once again and no difference. I then cleared my browser cache and the images in the problem topic now display properly.

Thanks for helping me work through this issue.

nya

Post by nya » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:47 am

You are welcome.

But my issue still unsolved. :(

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:48 am

@nya: I suggest you start your own topic, you can link back to this one if you wish.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”