Scripting Issue - Core Dumping

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
Darloup
Name: Henry

Scripting Issue - Core Dumping

Post by Darloup »

Hello,

I just received this email from my host provider (Web Hosting Hub):
Hello Henry,

System administration has determined that you have a script in your account that is "core dumping." The core dumps were removed but were located in your account at the following location:

////darloup.com/forum

Core dumps occur when a process is loaded into memory and terminates itself prematurely, causing the memory segment to be written to the disk as a file. You can find more information about coredumps here: http://www.webhostinghub.com/help/learn ... core-dumps

While we are not sure exactly what is causing this behavior, we were able to trace back the script to the following command/process:

////darloup.com/forum/viewtopic.php

The core dumps being caused by the above command is related to a scripting issue, or the process that generated it may have crashed during execution. If this is a recurring issue, we highly recommend reviewing the file that generates the core dump to prevent further issues.

Feel free to contact us with any further questions.
Can someone please explain to me what is happening? Should I do something specific?

Regards,

Henry

P.S.: I ran the test program provided by my host in the above link, and this is what I got:
GNU gdb (GDB) Red Hat Enterprise Linux (7.2-90.el6)
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
[New Thread 26602]
Core was generated by `/opt/php56/bin/php-cgi ////darloup.com/forum/viewtopic.ph'.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
#0 0x0000003c8e33382f in ?? ()
(gdb) Hangup detected on fd 0
error detected on stdin
david63

Re: Scripting Issue - Core Dumping

Post by david63 »

I cannot say that I have heard of this happening, and if it does it is not something that is being regularly reported. I have check on my live site and there are no signs of any "core dumps" which would suggest that it is not an inherent problem with phpBB 3.1.10 - which version are you running?

How often are these core dumps occurring? Is their any pattern to when they happen?

My initial thoughts would be that it is either a server problem or possibly an extension that is causing it. I would start by disabling any extensions that are affecting viewtopic.php (if you can identify them - if not disable all your extensions) and then see what happens. If the core dumps stop then re-enable your extensions one by one and check what is happening.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Scripting Issue - Core Dumping

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

from what I remember core dumps are something that the server does under certain situations.
it is not something that phpbb does at all.
check with your hosting support again and ask for level two support. maybe you will get someone that understands how their server works and can help you track down what is causing this.

whatever the server situation is that triggers core dumps happens on servers even when phpbb is not even installed.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”