Open external links in new tab/window

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Open external links in new tab/window

Post by david63 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:08 am

johnnytype2 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:07 am
i was surprised that this wasn't one of the important issues addressed, i mean to at least give us a choice. Ill have to wait for a ext or hack for this.
If I remember correctly this feature was removed when phpBB moved from 2 to 3.0
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:56 pm

johnnytype2 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:38 am
Volksdevil wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:39 am
It's pretty obvious what he wants. It's right there in the first post. External links to open in a new window, ideally without using an extension.

Simple.
THIS ^^

I know this breaks XHTML convention but as a forum admin i dont want users taken away from my forum when they click an external link. And on talking to a broad section of users [out of 10K users] who uses the forum all agree.

Like Volksdevil I dont understand the thinking of some people in this topic. Should we, the forum admins not have this as a global choice? im really not a fascist...

plainly; can we (forum admins) have a global option that external links open in a new window without installing an extension? please
I think much the same way...
A lot of people here would be instantly fired if they worked as webdevs for a large multinational corporation, and they had external links having people leave the site.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:14 pm

I think you might be surprised just how many companies websites follow web standards. since it has become the web standard, most web developers abide by whatever the W3 standards are.

I hated it when phpbb changed to this. however, I got used to right clicking or center clicking to open in a new window very quickly. sometimes change sucks but that is just life.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:34 pm

And you may be surprised how many webdevs think W3 is utter rubbish Robert :D To say that most abide by them is incorrect from what I see personally.

And according to google (Who are far, far more relevant imo) it's a good way to work having Important internal pages, open in the same tab...External or lesser important open in a new one. Even none directly beneficial (Financially) pages such as cookie policies etc.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:07 pm

Just to throw a small point into the discussion:
"target = '_blank'" is valid for the "a"-Attribute in html5: https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/H83. ... escription
So this is "web standard" at its best ;)
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:34 pm

I too hate the fact that links open in the same window and so do the members of my forum!

in 3.0 we had this that worked well https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... w-windows/

I think it works on 3.1 or at least it used to! now I use an extension for links to open in a new window

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:24 pm

One thing here that irritates me is the fact links don't open in a new window or tab. The payed-for forum software does this right out of the box I do believe. I have used vbulletin for years and all links always opened in a new tab for me. And now with Xenforo it does the same thing. Having to middle click or right click is a PITA all the time. And just like mentioned, I don't want users to leave the site when they click a link. The idea that it's "the users choice" is myopic. Many websites open links in new tabs. Just makes things easier to use.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:27 pm

For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:58 pm

John connor wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:24 pm
One thing here that irritates me is the fact links don't open in a new window or tab. The payed-for forum software does this right out of the box I do believe. I have used vbulletin for years and all links always opened in a new tab for me. And now with Xenforo it does the same thing. Having to middle click or right click is a PITA all the time. And just like mentioned, I don't want users to leave the site when they click a link. The idea that it's "the users choice" is myopic. Many websites open links in new tabs. Just makes things easier to use.
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/elonw/

works in both 3.1 and 3.2 just fine...even forum category links
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:54 am

I use that extension. Why can't this forum?

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:04 am

John connor wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:54 am
Why can't this forum?
You can use right click + whatever option you want which is the correct way and leaves the user in control.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:05 am

John connor wrote:
Because this forum tries to stay as stock as possible to let prospective users see what they would see if they installed it too.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

shawnivan110

Post by shawnivan110 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:14 am

I don't want users to leave the site when they click a link. The idea that it's "the users choice" is myopic. Many websites open links in new tabs. Just makes things easier to use.

P_I

Post by P_I » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:51 am

John connor wrote:
As I posted up topic,
P_I wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:48 pm
Why do you want to break a HTML standard? Let the user decide using their right click button in their browser.

Some background, H83: Using the target attribute to open a new window on user request and indicating this in link text | Techniques for WCAG 2.0
The objective of this technique is to avoid confusion that may be caused by the appearance of new windows that were not requested by the user. Suddenly opening new windows can disorient users or be missed completely by some.
Standards exist for a good reason, so there is consistent and defined behaviour.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

richey

Post by richey » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:20 pm

I just realized that phpBB 3.2 doesn't open external links in a new tab anymore! This is quite annoying, and users on my board complained about it also.

I tried the ELONW extension without luck. It doesn't work for me. Also, I don't really like the overhead - Javascript is required for that to work, where every webdesigner knows a simple 'target="_blank"' does the trick perfectly and complies to W3C standards?

The information in this link : https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... w-windows/ is outdated (and its author doesn't seem to be active anymore) - the code quoted there is partially to be found in different files now, and when an existing post containing a long URL is edited, the URL is truncated in the editor. :(

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”