Trying to migrate from phpbb 3.0.x windows sql gz backup to a fresh linux 3.1.5 install

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
city hunter

Trying to migrate from phpbb 3.0.x windows sql gz backup to a fresh linux 3.1.5 install

Post by city hunter » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:45 am

It's been a long time since I last ran a phpbb forum, and that was on a windows 2000 server running phpbb 3.0.x according to my backup readme. I did save a few backups in gz from the old forum. Backup file unzipped is just under 40megabytes

Anyhow, I tried copying my old windows backup to the linux backup, which it wouldnt recongnize the file. So, I made a backup of the new database and then renamed my old backup from windows to the new backup name and deleted the new backup file. It then recongnized it and I attempted to backup

old file name from backup 02-11-10-phpbb_db_backup_sql.gz
new backup filename from linux server backup_1485255474_3553b9d3f85d3231.sql.gz

I came up with these errors
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Unknown column 'post_edit_cnunt' in 'field list' [1054]

SQL

INSERT INTO phpbb_posts (post_id, topic_id, forum_id, poster_id, post_time, poster_ip, post_username, enable_bbcode, enable_html, enable_smilies, enable_sig, post_edit_time, post_edit_cnunt) VALUES('2587', '350', '14', '2', '1177403028', '43bd6bd6', '', '1', '0', '1', '1', NULL, '0')

BACKTRACE

FILE: (not given by php)
LINE: (not given by php)
CALL: msg_handler()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/driver.php
LINE: 855
CALL: trigger_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysql.php
LINE: 181
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\driver->sql_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/factory.php
LINE: 329
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\mysql->sql_query()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/acp/acp_database.php
LINE: 332
CALL: phpbb\db\driver\factory->sql_query()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/functions_module.php
LINE: 674
CALL: acp_database->main()

FILE: [ROOT]/adm/index.php
LINE: 81
CALL: p_master->load_active()

I'm really hoping there is some way to get my windows backup converted to the linux.

I'm definitely inexperienced at this, and have forgotten most of what I know. I've been going through guides, and have reinstalled the linux phpbb a few times after breaking the database trying to restore with my windows file.

I have searched with no luck, but if you do have links to what I am doing, much appreciated.

DoYouSpeakWak
Name: Hans Lassen

Re: Trying to migrate from phpbb 3.0.x windows sql gz backup to a fresh linux 3.1.5 install

Post by DoYouSpeakWak » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:26 pm

You need the same version phpBB files as the old database to use it. When everything is running well on the old forum, then you can update.
Whatever you share comes back. Support the phpBB Communities
My Validated and Released Modifications
Offering paid phpBB help and System administrator services.

city hunter

Re: Trying to migrate from phpbb 3.0.x windows sql gz backup to a fresh linux 3.1.5 install

Post by city hunter » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:31 pm

I dont have a running old forum, just some backups, it hasnt ran since 2010.

Are you saying I need to try and setup the exact setup I had back then? I do have the old mysql folder as well. is there a file I can find?

or can O run a 3.0.x linux install? I really dont care to update if this will work.

DoYouSpeakWak

Post by DoYouSpeakWak » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:37 pm

Yes you need to know which version you ran back then. This can be done by importing the database and looking in the phpbb_config table via a gui mysql tool like phpmyadmin or a like.

Then download the right files from phpBB 3.0.X you can find them here.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpbb/files/phpBB%203/

When everything is working you can update. Which I strong advise you to do. :D

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:47 pm

That
city hunter wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:45 am
post_edit_cnunt
looks like a miswritten column name and should be post_edit_count. Check if it is wrong in all statements in the sql file or in just one of them. I think you can simply rename it.

You will for sure run into problems if you have a backup file which doesn't match you current phpBB-Installation, maybe because of a version mismatch or modifikation, which added extra fields or tables to your database.

You can try to find the version in your backup; find the insert statement for the config-table and look for the config value named "version".
hen, install the full package for that version truncate the tables and reload your backup ;)
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

city hunter

Post by city hunter » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:36 pm

I just went throgh the docs folder from my old phpbb folder and found a changelog

Would this be 3.0.3?

Changelog
Changes since 3.0.3
Changes since 3.0.2
Changes since 3.0.1
Changes since 3.0.0
Changes since RC-8
Changes since RC-7
Changes since RC-6
Changes since RC-5
Changes since RC-4
Changes since RC-3
Changes since RC-2
Changes since RC-1
Copyright and disclaimer

DoYouSpeakWak

Post by DoYouSpeakWak » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:43 am

Looks like it. But the only way to make sure what version the database is. Is to import it and look in the phpbb_config table.

city hunter

Post by city hunter » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:04 am

DoYouSpeakWak wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:43 am
Looks like it. But the only way to make sure what version the database is. Is to import it and look in the phpbb_config table.
I assume we are talking my sql version?

Looks like I was running mysql 5.0 for windows.

I'm currently trying to install a older version of phpbb on the server to see if it will load, but am having some install issues right now.

I'm running mariahdb on centos7, wonder if this could be a issue?

DoYouSpeakWak

Post by DoYouSpeakWak » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:10 am

No I was talking about your phpBB version of your old sql backup. Import it into your db and then you can see which version your old phpbb sql file was backed up from.

Mariadb works fine.

city hunter

Post by city hunter » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:12 pm

hmm apparently I was still running a phpbb 2 board, and was planning on upgrading to 3 at some point.

I went and installed phpbb2 2.0.21 and restored the database via ssh as it would just fail from the board restore with a file was not uploaded.

Well, my main index works, and shows all the posts, but as soon as I click on a sub forum, everything is gone, and it only lists one forum member... I did get one error when restoring via ssh

ERROR 1366 (HY000) at line 16111: Incorrect string value: '\xEF\xBC\x89 4t...' f or column 'post_text' at row 1

Trying my last backup I got this error
ERROR 1054 (42S22) at line 3075: Unknown column 'post_edit_cnunt' in 'field list'

both restore the main forums, but all posts are gone and only 1 registered member. It shows all post and thread totals though

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”