pf_spammer_prevent issue

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
Gecko64

pf_spammer_prevent issue

Post by Gecko64 »

I'm trying to use the Spammer Prevent in Custom User Fields -- it works, but on the Registeration page, some HTML code is displayed instead of the lable, see screenshot. I can't figure out what I need to do to fix that. Anyone know?

thanks
Dave
pf_spammer.png
pf_spammer.png (17.76 KiB) Viewed 279 times
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: pf_spammer_prevent issue

Post by Mick »

I'm assuming you're trying to combat spam, have you seen the Preventing Spam in phpBB3 sticky at the top of this forum for ideas how to beat it? In my experience a good none searchable Q&A (as in Google none searchable) combats (I'm guessing) 98% of spam attacks. Can you explain what you mean by "the Spammer Prevent in Custom User Fields"?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Gecko64

Post by Gecko64 »

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I did read that article, and followed the link in there to this page https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... mmer-tool/ -- and that's what I'm trying to do. "spammer_prevent" was one of the existing custom fields but maybe a previous forum admin set it up awhile ago. I did create my own custom field and had the same problem with the private label being displayed in the same fashion as the screenshot.

We're already using the Q&A method, but a fair number of spammers are getting through it. We have to keep the questions simple, since our audience includes young people, and young people with limited English skills, and that maybe explain it. So I was hoping to set up this alternate method, but have the problem in my first post.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

I recommend and use keycaptcha.com Their extension is not validated here but their mod for 3.0.x is.

It was ported to 3.1.x and then 3.2.x at my request. You need to register on their site, but you do not need the paid version unless you really want it.

I have used it in its various versions for several years with zero spambot signups.
Gecko64

Post by Gecko64 »

Thanks, I'll look into that...but you don't have any suggestions on how to fix my problem?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

part of the problem is probably because those instructions are for 3.0 much of the code is very different between 3.0 and 3.1

also, if you have a Q&A that can not be guessed and can not be googled for then spam bots will not be able to get past it.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:28 pm also, if you have a Q&A that can not be guessed and can not be googled for then spam bots will not be able to get past it.
Ditto,

1 year = zero spammers. :)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”