How to ban an entire country or, at least, a host name?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
Darloup
Name: Henry

How to ban an entire country or, at least, a host name?

Post by Darloup »

Hello,

I have a persistent spammer from Viet-Nam on my forum. I'd like to know whether it's possible to ban an entire country (Viet-Nam in this case) as, in any case, mine is a franco-colombian forum and posters from Viet-Nam are 99.99% sure to be spammers.

If so, how please?

As an alternative, is it possible to ban their host BY THEIR NAME? If so, how?

With my anticipated thanks,

Henry
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: How to ban an entire country or, at least, a host name?

Post by KevC »

You could try an IP range ban at the server level but IPs are not necessarily country specific.

Your antispam question is too easy though. If you change that they should stop. Also, if you're not already using it, turn on the new member post limit in user registration settings. Putting that on 1 will at least mean your members never see the posts and you can delete the account as soon as you see it.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
Darloup

Post by Darloup »

Hello KevC and many thanks for your fast reply!
You could try an IP range ban at the server level but IPs are not necessarily country specific.
I know, but I've noticed that phpBB offers the option to ban a host name. Since the spammer is always using the same host, how do I do this? Do I simply type the host name?
Your antispam question is too easy though. If you change that they should stop.
Any suggestion as to what it should be? I don't wish it to make it TOO difficult in order not to deter potential new members. A mathematical question ? A geographical question?
Also, if you're not already using it, turn on the new member post limit in user registration settings. Putting that on 1 will at least mean your members never see the posts and you can delete the account as soon as you see it.
Thanks for the tip!

Regards,

Henry
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Darloup wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:11 am
I know, but I've noticed that phpBB offers the option to ban a host name. Since the spammer is always using the same host, how do I do this? Do I simply type the host name?
I would do that at the server level in your hosting control panel. Your hosts should be able to direct you with that.
Darloup wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:11 am
Any suggestion as to what it should be? I don't wish it to make it TOO difficult in order not to deter potential new members. A mathematical question ? A geographical question?
The bots can answer anything that is searchable such as general knowledge or maths. They also know how to solve common non-searchable things like asking them to enter certain letters from a word/code or the uppercase ones in a code. What they're not so good at is things that need some logic such as two part questions or where you ask the user to identify something such as an object if your site logo.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
Darloup

Post by Darloup »

I would do that at the server level in your hosting control panel. Your hosts should be able to direct you with that.
OK, but why do it at server level if phpBB offers the facility? Or doesn't it?
What they're not so good at is things that need some logic such as two part questions or where you ask the user to identify something such as an object if your site logo.
OK, thanks!
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Darloup wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:38 am
OK, but why do it at server level if phpBB offers the facility? Or doesn't it?
Because then you stop it coming to the site as a whole and using up your bandwidth. The server level will be more efficient at stopping it than just the board level.
Cheap UK Hosting
Darloup

Post by Darloup »

Because then you stop it coming to the site as a whole and using up your bandwidth. The server level will be more efficient at stopping it than just the board level.
OK, many thanks. I'm gonna check what my server can do!
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Darloup wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:56 am
OK, many thanks. I'm gonna check what my server can do!
Banning a whole Country, in any case, seems to me too much.
I don't think you are with "They must pay all the fault of someone.", isn't? ;)

Have a look at this simple tutorial (.htaccess involved here)
https://3di.space/32/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”