my board eating so much resources

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
ngaia

my board eating so much resources

Post by ngaia »

Right now there are 149 users at my board, my ram usage is 1343mb. There is something wrong with my board?
dillsay

Re: my board eating so much resources

Post by dillsay »

Yes must be something wrong either you did not properly installed or gave permissions to the required folders, try to use the latest version of the phpBB maybe you are using the older version?
david63

Post by david63 »

What extensions do you have installed.

I notice you have an adblocker installed which, presumably, means that you have ads on your site. Remove the ads and you will see a significant improvement - ads are notorious for eating up your resources.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm »

without knowing the environment you are running in that memory usage could be low!

are shared hosting VPS dedicated?? what control panel are you using if any what web server?
WelshPaul

Post by WelshPaul »

sakm wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 9:25 pm
without knowing the environment you are running in that memory usage could be low!

are shared hosting VPS dedicated?? what control panel are you using if any what web server?
^^^^^^This^^^^^^

Impossible for anyone to say for sure if it's low or high without more information on your server/setup.
ngaia

Post by ngaia »

dillsay wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 8:35 pm
Yes must be something wrong either you did not properly installed or gave permissions to the required folders, try to use the latest version of the phpBB maybe you are using the older version?
yes, i am using 3.1.8
david63 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 8:47 pm

I notice you have an adblocker installed which, presumably, means that you have ads on your site. Remove the ads and you will see a significant improvement - ads are notorious for eating up your resources.
before i was on godaddy shared hosting which has 2gb ram, it could handle 1200 users at a time, this happened after i change my host.
sakm wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 9:25 pm

i am using hosting raja vps, which has 4gb ram. my control panel is HR panel.
ngaia

Post by ngaia »

i talked to my host and they said my database needs to optimize.... Can my database cause this problem? If so, how to optimize it. i have installed data Optimise & Repair
david63 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 8:47 pm

here is my installed extension
ext.png
sakm

Post by sakm »

Now we have half the info

You memory usage is about right!
ngaia

Post by ngaia »

sakm wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 1:29 pm

my host said if the database is optimize, my board will able to handle around 3k a time!!! Is it posible with 4gb ram?
sakm

Post by sakm »

ngaia wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 1:44 pm
sakm wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 1:29 pm

my host said if the database is optimize, my board will able to handle around 3k a time!!! Is it posible with 4gb ram?
It's the set up you have you need to look at and not just the database

You will need to tweak it for better performance
ngaia

Post by ngaia »

how do i do that?
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

This forum is for support of phpBB, not for server tweaking. ;)
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
sakm

Post by sakm »

If you are on a managed vps then your host should happily do it for you

Upgrading to 3.2 and using php 7.x will help too

Do not ask the host to touch the database or files but ask them to optimise mysql and apache also make sure you are using the latest version of of all software and remove any addons and modules that aren't required by you also run external dns

But as above this is for phpbb support so head over to Web hosting talk it's a minefield of information

Hope that helps
ngaia

Post by ngaia »

sakm wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 5:05 pm
If you are on a managed vps then your host should happily do it for you

Upgrading to 3.2 and using php 7.x will help too

Do not ask the host to touch the database or files but ask them to optimise mysql and apache also make sure you are using the latest version of of all software and remove any addons and modules that aren't required by you also run external dns

But as above this is for phpbb support so head over to Web hosting talk it's a minefield of information

Hope that helps
Will Could fare free helps service?
Nikola
Name: Nikola

Post by Nikola »

Have you been using VPS before you changed hosting company? They should tell you the source machine behind VPS. VPS is controled by one physical server hosting multiple virtual servers. To sum it up, you probably get 20% or less of dedicated power. Single core 4gb ram dedicated would perform a lot better than a VPS you are using.

Now the main question is, what those users do on your board, what kind of traffic they generate, what is mysql usage? Not all extensions are resource friendly given that they are still in development or have no indexing for some parts. Try disabling one by one extension to find possible culprit.

Board with 500+users active at the same time won't work with a VPS. You would need a low to mid end dedicated server with SSD.

You can also play with SQL logs, especially slow.log to see which queries are taking more to execute and therefore eating more power.

That being said, not every hosting company has same VPS plans and performance they claim to have.
"What would happen if the autism gene was eliminated from the genetic pool?

You would have a bunch of people standing around in a cave, chatting and socializing and not getting anything done."

- Dr. Temple Grandin, A Personal Look at Autism and Asperger's Syndrome.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”