Version 3.1.8 - - do I NEED to update?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
melecosse

Version 3.1.8 - - do I NEED to update?

Post by melecosse »

I'm running a nice wee quiet board using 3.1.8, I have less than 100 users and everything swans along tickety-boo! :lol:

Do I really HAVE or NEED to update to 3.2 in the foreseeable future? Since everything is so stable and usable at present, and I (seem to ) have it all under control, I would hate to stir it up and have it fail! ;)

I also want to expand the board into additional web pages, but that's another story - - I'll get back on that one if I can - - later! :?

Take Care All, Keep on Keepin' On! :geek:
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Version 3.1.8 - - do I NEED to update?

Post by stevemaury »

No, but support for it will end, probably at the end of this year. There is NO WAY you can harm a board by upgrading IF YOU MAKE BACKUPS. Do you have some special extensions, styles, hacks, etc. that you think will not work with 3.2.0?
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
melecosse

Post by melecosse »

Thanks for the reply SteveM. 8-)

No, it is (at the moment) a perfectly standard 3.1.8 install which more or less worked straight out of the tin to do what it says on the tin, any wee problems I have had have been due to my advanced age - - I'm 75 years of age, and all this stuff a lot of you guys talk about goes about 6 feet over my head. :roll:

I'm not so much of an interweb techie ,more like a bodger who gets things to work by bothering good guys like yourself to help me out :lol:

I think I will print off the upgrade guide and read it over a few times to see if I can do it maybe? :geek:

Go take a look if you like - - it's at

http://www.timexwatchforum.com

and is nothing special, but works fine!
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

What extensions do you have installed?
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
melecosse

Post by melecosse »

I don't have anything installed that is different from the standard 3.1.8 issue - - except I added the heading as per instructions!

I'm studying the upgrade intrsuctions whilst I decide what to do next. I think I would like to go up a bit on anti-spam, perhaps some kind of Captcha or Q and A thing, but don't know if I should do the upgrade and let it settle first then add the the Captcha, or the other way round? :)
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

Just upgrade then add that. Those settings are in registration settings in the ACP so you'll be fine, especially because you don't have any extensions installed.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

3.1.x already has Q&A
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
melecosse

Post by melecosse »

OK! 'm back! ;)

I've had a look at and printed off the upgrade stuff, and I wonder if someone could confirm what I've figgered out, before I give it a try - -

I've already gone and downloaded the Auto-upgrade package from 3.1.8 up to 3.2.

I should make a back up of my database and stuff, just in case.

Next I unzip/unpack the "install" and "vendor" folders and send them up to my installation on the server, probably the "vendor" folder first, as my forum will go offline when I upload the "install" folder, and I should send the folders complete, no changes.

Then go to myphpforum/phpbb3/install/ then choose update and do as I am told?

Is that about right?

OR- - I should be able to do all this from the ACP --> System "tab" - - but if I do this will I need to unzip the install and vendor folders anyways? or does ACP do it?
I also know I have to remove the install files when everything is completed.

Sorry to be a doddery old pest, but this stuff is all scary you know! :shock:
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Just do this
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade31/

You don't need the auto update package. You're not updating. You're upgrading. It's safer to dump most of the files and upload the new 3.2 ones instead as per the guide I linked.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
melecosse

Post by melecosse »

First off, 2 thankyouse! First to you all for putting up with my basic questions, and about things I should know but don't - - then second to the Support team members for their patience with a Silver Surfer.

KevC - - I've implemented a simple Q and A type registration requirement, and for the first time in a long time I've no spam (shhhh! :? ) type registrations this morning, still on 3.1.8 and I've now found out I'm running prosilver - - yeah, I know I should have been aware of that, but never really understood what was meant by it!. So I'll see how that goes. On the Q and A thing, if I do a few more of these, and put them on the board, will they cycle round randomly? - - or would I need to do that every so often and selct a "new" one every now and then?

Next - - for KevC again, I think I can follow your suggestions, and I'm even seeing where it goes a bit as to deleting some files and keeping some files. All :roll: I need to do now is work out how and where to do the back-ups before I start, and maybe then I'll find the courage to give it a go (maybe a Brandy will help :lol: ) - - or some of the wife's tranquilisers :D

Take Care everyone, keep on keeping on! ;)
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

melecosse wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:50 am On the Q and A thing, if I do a few more of these, and put them on the board, will they cycle round randomly? - - or would I need to do that every so often and selct a "new" one every now and then?
Yes you can add more and it will randomly choose one but that doesn't help you if the bots work out the answer to one of the questions because you won't now which one they've beaten meaning you'll have to change all of them. Keep one question, when they start to get in, change it and they'll stop again.

For backups, just follow the first part of this article
Transferring Your Board to a New Host or Domain
melecosse

Post by melecosse »

Thanks yet again KevC, now on day two and no spam registrations - - happy :D
KevC wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:56 am For backups, just follow the first part of this article
Transferring Your Board to a New Host or Domain
Is all this possible for an oldie who doesn't know ANY php KevC? Dearie Me! I'll keep reading as above and if I may, can I ask you again with my idea of what you want me to do before I get myself in deep doo-doo? :roll:
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Is all this possible for an oldie who doesn't know ANY php
Yes its possible ;) (the backup part)

Just download all the files.
After that, go to phpMyAdmin > your phpbb database and click on "export"
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
melecosse

Post by melecosse »

Well, here we are again! :D

OK, implementing the simple Q and A at registration has been great - - no false/spam/cr4p registrations since 10th July, for such a simple measure I am amazed at the results - - I can only highly recommend it for anyone bothered with spam ;)

I've now got maybe 5 or so questions and answers in reserve for if/when they become necessary. :geek:

Now, getting myself up to doing the change up is not going too well. I'm not getting my head around it at all, the 75 year old brain cell (only got one left nowadays :lol: ) is struggling. I'd like to do the upgrade, but also understand it! :roll:
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade31/

What, specifically, do you not understand about this?
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”