Subscription Vs Bookmarks in V3.1.6

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
NewToPHPBoards

Subscription Vs Bookmarks in V3.1.6

Post by NewToPHPBoards »

Hi,

Reading through the history of the board I can see this question has been asked before - but under version 2 and 3.0. In these older versions the difference is listed as;

"...there are two key differences: 1) only individual topics may be bookmarked, and 2) an e-mail will not be sent to inform you of new posts..."

In version 3.1.x when you visit your UCP you find options to turn on notifications (email) for subscriptions AND bookmarks.

What I would like to understand in 3.1.x is what the difference between a subscription to a topic, and a bookmark is?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Subscription Vs Bookmarks in V3.1.6

Post by KevC »

When you subscribe to a post or a topic you are notified when something new has happened in it.

When you bookmark a topic you just get a browser-style saved list of topics you might want to refer back to listed in your user control panel.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
NewToPHPBoards

Post by NewToPHPBoards »

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the reply.
KevC wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:28 pm When you subscribe to a post or a topic you are notified when something new has happened in it.
Only if you have notifications switched on under your Edit notifications options in the UCP.

The same option exists for bookmarks, in the Edit notifications options. It's named Someone replies to a topic you have bookmarked.

Having both selected (as they are by default) I see bookmarks also notify if something new has happened in the topic.
KevC wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:28 pmWhen you bookmark a topic you just get a browser-style saved list of topics you might want to refer back to listed in your user control panel.
Do you mean the Manage bookmarks section in the UCP?

If so, you also have a Manage subscriptions in the same table of the UCP. This also provides a list of watched topics that lists in the same way as bookmarks.

Sorry - I'm sure I'm missing something, or misunderstood your reply. There must be a difference.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

mmm yeah I don't really use either but it does look like they sort of do the same thing. I guess the difference is with a bookmark you have a list of those topics so you can jump to any one at any time, more like a reference list. With a subscription you don't. You just get told about another reply but if you want to find it you'll have to search.
NewToPHPBoards wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:05 pm Do you mean the Manage bookmarks section in the UCP?
yes
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
NewToPHPBoards

Post by NewToPHPBoards »

Thank you and sorry Kev - promise I'm not trying to be awkward for the sake of it. I never bite off the hand that feeds me :lol:

The reason I'm asking is members of our forum are asking - and I need to write a tutorial. To write it I need to understand bookmarks.
KevC wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:20 pmI guess the difference is with a bookmark you have a list of those topics so you can jump to any one at any time, more like a reference list. With a subscription you don't.
Manage bookmarks section in the UCP lists topics you've bookmarked. You can click to visit.

Manage subscriptions section in the UCP lists topics you've subscribed to (called a watch list). They list in exactly the same way as the bookmarks. You can click to visit.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

If you also subscribe to a topic you have bookmarked then yes they will appear in both lists but you might not necessarily want to subscribe to a bookmarked topic so the option is there not to do that and have it on a separate list.

Wow your users really dig hard. I've never been asked about either in 20 years of running forums :)
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

I think the confusion is that subscriptions and bookmarks appear to work identically in the newer versions of phpBB. In the older versions, the difference was that there was never notifications for posts to bookmarked topics.
NewToPHPBoards

Post by NewToPHPBoards »

KevC wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:40 pm If you also subscribe to a topic you have bookmarked then yes they will appear in both lists but you might not necessarily want to subscribe to a bookmarked topic so the option is there not to do that and have it on a separate list.
And bizarrely - using the current options in the UCP - the same is also true for subscriptions (they to can be set to work just like bookmarks i.e. with no notification).
KevC wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:40 pmWow your users really dig hard. I've never been asked about either in 20 years of running forums :)
You don't know the half it - I think I could learn a thing or two from the way you guys MOD :lol:
NewToPHPBoards

Post by NewToPHPBoards »

Brf wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:47 pm I think the confusion is that subscriptions and bookmarks appear to work identically in the newer versions of phpBB. In the older versions, the difference was that there was never notifications for posts to bookmarked topics.
Thank you.

If that is the company line, and now they work the same (all be it by name), I have my answer and will position bookmarks in a different way.

Thanks for the help guys :D

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”