Clearing IP History

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Jade23

Clearing IP History

Post by Jade23 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:38 am

Hi all,

We just had Sitelock remove the proxy wall they had on our site, which was making everyone's account names show up under IP addresses they weren't connected to. This prevented us from banning inappropriate players.

Well since they removed it, people are showing under their individual IPs now, however, the 'Other Users Posting From This IP' lists about 600 members now and I'm not sure why. Our players are allowed 5 account on our site and we usually use this to monitor which accounts are connected to which IP addresses.

So all in all, is there a way to clear the 'Other Users Posting From This IP' section? Pic down below.

P.S. I attempted to use this suggestion to fix it. It didn't work. viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2114803#p12922574

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Re: Clearing IP History

Post by RMcGirr83 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:54 am

"it didn't work" is really non-helpful. In what way didn't it work?
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Jade23

Post by Jade23 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:34 am

Um, huh? It didn't work is non helpful? I explained it in the paragraph above but I'll reiterate it. We're only suppose to have at max 6 accounts listed on that list of "users who have posted from this IP address". Instead, it's showing all of the 600+ members that we have.

I queried the code from the link above and it didn't work. It said accepted and didn't do anything. Nothing. I clear cache. Cleared cookies. Cleared browsing history. Cleared everything. Looked at the code again. Looked at my database again. It didn't work.

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:58 am

Jade23 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:34 am
We're only suppose to have at max 6 accounts listed on that list of "users who have posted from this IP address".
How do you know that? With dynamic IP addresses (which most users have) the number of users from one IP address has no limit - and if that IP address is from a mobile network then it highly conceivable that you will have multiple users.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:12 pm

I was talking about this
Jade23 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:38 am
P.S. I attempted to use this suggestion to fix it. It didn't work. viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2114803#p12922574
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:41 pm

What IP address are you talking about? Maybe it is your server's address because you are using some proxy service like cloudflare or similar so the real ip address of the uses don't show up at your board?
Greetings
Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
no support via PM or mail

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:52 pm

Yes. That list still looks like it is from the old IP. Is this one of the new posts, showing a real IP, or an older one that still shows the fake one?

Jade23

Post by Jade23 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:03 pm

This is one of the new posts brf. Which is why I'm confused. Sitelock swears that the proxy IPs should be off the site now, so I'm not sure why it's showing every account when I IP check an individual.

We're not using cloudflare. We're not using any proxy anymore from what sitelock tells me.

David, were only suppose to have at max, 6 accounts listed for any IP address. Because no matter what IP they use, they are still using their 6 accounts to log into it. So only 6 accounts should show for any IP address. Not 600.

This is mainly about the history of that list there. Every post I click, it's the same, but the names are in different order. Is there any kind of code that can clear the history or no?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:16 pm

You are not IP checking "an individual". You are checking the IP a post was made from. Apparently, that post was made from the same proxy IP. You can check that by looking at any other post and seeing its IP.

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:31 pm

Jade23 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:03 pm
Is there any kind of code that can clear the history or no?
No, the user's post count per IP and user is calculated "on the fly" - every post has it's own information about the poster's IP. There is no function in pphBB to clear those informations by default.

Did you compare the IP with your server's IP? Or did you make a IP lookup to check the IP's owner? Is it a localhost-IP ("127.0.0.1" or the IPV6-equivalent, which is "::1")?
Greetings
Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
no support via PM or mail

Jade23

Post by Jade23 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:31 pm

Gotcha. Thanks.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”