phpBB issues

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Ideas Centre
omegayen

phpBB issues

Post by omegayen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:10 pm

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.1.11
What is your board's URL?
Who do you host your board with? GoDaddy
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What styles do you currently have installed? Black
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable?
Please describe your problem. I have had my phpBB board spammed out of control over the years which has caused my host to take my site down due to the mysql database getting too large. The last install I did was in summer 2015 and the board did not stay up very long.

I then did not get around to install the board again until sept. 2017. I tried to install the latest 3.2 version but I got a no input file specified error when trying to complete the install and could not find any solution online. I then was able to successfully install 3.1.11.

I then added spambot countermeasures including recaptcha, requiring email activation, and requiring symbols in passwords. Even with these changes shortly after install I began experiencing some registered users who were designed to spam the board with off topic posts and links to off topic websites.

Is there anyway to use phpBB software without requiring daily moderation and deleting of spam registered users?
Generated by SRT Generator

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: phpBB issues

Post by KevC » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:39 pm

Q&A works just fine. You just need a question that you cannot search the answer to online.

e.g. no maths questions, general knowledge, common ones like what colour is the sky.

You need to ask things specific to your site that require some logic to answer like asking what is in your logo if it's a specific object, what a certain word is somewhere (like the site description or in the first category/forum) or two stage processes such as enter the 4th word of this sentence and then add the last word at the end.

Do that and if you're unlucky you'll get one spambot a month. If they crack the question you just change it and it stops again.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

omegayen

Post by omegayen » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi

Okay thanks for your response. I have switched over to Q&A and will try to think of very difficult questions.

Unfortunately it seems like lots of people out there are running Xrumer and the captchas don't do much in this regard. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XRumer and https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 08&t=43579

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:41 pm

You only need 1 question. If you come up with lots and they work out the answer you'll have to change all of them as you won't know which one they've beaten.

Xrumer has been around for years and years. It's good at beating the old wobbly letter antispams and it has a database of answers to typical questions. What it isn't is 'clever'. It can't do things where a level of logic is required on the part of the user to follow an instruction like being asked about a logo or a word somewhere.

I tend to find my questions are good for 2-3 months and then get beaten and then I just change one aspect of it and it's fine again.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

omegayen

Post by omegayen » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:10 pm

Hi

Okay thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I have Q&A running on my forum with one question that requires the user to find a word somewhere on my site in addition to another instruction. It seems to be working as I have not had any spam since implementing several days ago.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”