Help! Forum fails to load and times out 90% of the time!

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
WWu777

Re: Help! Forum fails to load and times out 90% of the time!

Post by WWu777 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:42 pm

david63 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:01 pm
WWu777 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:50 pm
Dear Support,
One more question. When you see errors like these in your phpbb forum, what do they mean? I mean, what's the usual cause for such a time out error?
This site can’t be reached

www.happierabroad.com took too long to respond.
Search Google for happier abroad forum viewtopic
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
That error usually means that there is a problem with your server - your sever error logs should be able to give you some more information about what is causing the problem.
But my webhost keeps saying their servers are fine. What should I ask them to do exactly?

Could it also be due to slow internet speed? The support staff here seem to be able to load my forum just fine. So could it be a difference in internet speed abroad? Would that cause such an error message?

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:05 pm

WWu777 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:42 pm
But my webhost keeps saying their servers are fine. What should I ask them to do exactly?
Provide the server error logs to you. A 500 error is a server error which should be logged.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:41 pm

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:05 pm
WWu777 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:42 pm
Provide the server error logs to you. A 500 error is a server error which should be logged.
Ok I'll try that. So if they send me a list of error logs to me, will that tell me what the problem is specifically? Is it something a layperson can understand? If not, can I post the logs here for you all to examine? Such logs usually contain a lot of words and syntax and jargon that I can't understand.

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:16 pm

Just post the error logs here.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

WWu777

Post by WWu777 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:47 am

Dear Support,
I have an idea. Since the error message with my phpbb_posts table says that the index file is wrong. And the number cited in the error message is similar to the number of words in my search index count created in my Admin Panel, could they be connected? Could the problem be connected to my search index? If so, all I'd have to do is delete the search index - both of them because there's two of them - in the ACP and the error may be fixed right? Is it that simple?

If so, why didn't someone tell me before? Should I delete the whole search index and recreate it?

Maybe then the table can be optimized too? Is it necessary to optimize the tables? What does that do exactly?

Thanks.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:14 am

WWu777 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:55 am
When i did this, it said the table was fixed and reindexed. However i could not optimize the table. If i tried to optimize it, it would crash again! And id have to repair it with that risky command all over again!

So i dont know whats wrong. Must be something very deep that cannot be detected. Hopefully phpbb 3.2 will not have this problem.
Don't you have an offline copy to test risky procedures?
WWu777 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:55 am
Btw, my forum is huge. The mysql file for my forum is 1.4 GB. That's certainly not small or medium size. That much text is huge! You cant even open 100 MB of text in one file on a computer without it crashing.
The thing is why would you edit a file that large? Take an SQL backup in smaller parts. The post_table seperately, the topics_track separately, just to name 2 large ones. (and there's no need to manually edit the searchindex tables so separate those also).

For files larger than ±100MB, don't use the standard editors. Use your favorite search engine to find software which can edit very large textfiles.
A bug is a feature that didn't make it to the manual (yet)

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:05 am

Mick wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:46 pm
Again please note that 3.0 is EOL, the only help we can give you is with upgrading. If you continue to post 3.0 support questions I will lock your topic(s)
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”