Duplicating forum structure

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Get Involved
walterg74

Duplicating forum structure

Post by walterg74 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi all,

New member here, both to phpbb and site creation in general.

I am trying to create a forum, where I will have different topics as main forums, with sub-forums within each, but then I want to take this structure (for the sake of example let's say 5 forums with 10 sub-forums within each of those) and then replicate it exactly the same but under a different forum/category (This will be for example English Forums and all the aforementioned, Spanish Forums and again all the aforementioned, etc.).

Is there a practical way to do this copying/replication besides having to create each one by one manually time and again?

Thanks for your help!!

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Re: Duplicating forum structure

Post by david63 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:34 pm

This is something that is asked from time to time and, unfortunately, there is no "quick fix" way of doing this.

One problem that is sometimes encountered with this type of structure is that it becomes unmanageable and if you have too many fora then your board will slow down. Also if you are staring up a new board having too many fora at the start can have a negative affect on your members making posts - the board just looks empty and members are not sure where to post.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

walterg74

Post by walterg74 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:58 pm

david63 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:34 pm
This is something that is asked from time to time and, unfortunately, there is no "quick fix" way of doing this.

One problem that is sometimes encountered with this type of structure is that it becomes unmanageable and if you have too many fora then your board will slow down. Also if you are staring up a new board having too many fora at the start can have a negative affect on your members making posts - the board just looks empty and members are not sure where to post.

Hmm so why does it become unmanageable..? I mean, would be simple if you jad an option to create a forum under more tjan one existing parent.

Regarding quantity, notnsure that would really be a major problem. I don’t plan to have that many, but As mentioned, I would like the same structure replicated for different categories which are simply languages (so member will know exactly where to post according to what language they speak :P)

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:36 pm

It becomes unmanageable in many way. One is that Forum permissions need to be checked for each user and over about 200 forums, this usually results in noticeable slowing or stopping. Also, think about how the user will navigate? What will the Jump to dropdown look like?

How many total forums and subforums do you envision?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

walterg74

Post by walterg74 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:04 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:36 pm
It becomes unmanageable in many way. One is that Forum permissions need to be checked for each user and over about 200 forums, this usually results in noticeable slowing or stopping. Also, think about how the user will navigate? What will the Jump to dropdown look like?

How many total forums and subforums do you envision?
To be honest, as a noob didn't even know what that is, but I kind of see what you mean. The idea was several main forums (for the sake of argunment let's say 10), and maybe anywhere between 5-10 subforums.

I think maybe the best approach then might be to use category forums for what was going be the "main" forums, and forums for what were gong to be the sub forums, and then just extra basuc level forums for each language for those that want to write in something other than english... :?:

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Remember, it is better to have one topic with 100 posts than 100 topics with one post each.

Keep it simple to start with and see how the board naturally evolves. Then you can add more fora/sub fora as and when you need to

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”