Setting up SMTP

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Cohaven

Setting up SMTP

Post by Cohaven » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to set up an SMTP server connection from the phpBB forum through the ACP > GENERAL > Email settings page. However, I either get this error:

Code: Select all

Errno 2: stream_socket_client(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
error:1408F10B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version number at [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php line 1090<br />
Errno 2: stream_socket_client(): Failed to enable crypto at [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php line 1090<br />
or this one:

Code: Select all

Errno 2: stream_socket_client(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol at [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php line 1090<br />
Errno 2: stream_socket_client(): Failed to enable crypto at [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php line 1090<br />
depending on the type of prefix (tls:// or ssl://) I put before the SMTP server address, respectively.

Any help understanding the root of these errors and how to resolve them would be greatly appreciated!

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”