Setting up SMTP

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
Cohaven

Setting up SMTP

Post by Cohaven »

Hi,

I'm trying to set up an SMTP server connection from the phpBB forum through the ACP > GENERAL > Email settings page. However, I either get this error:

Code: Select all

Errno 2: stream_socket_client(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
error:1408F10B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version number at [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php line 1090<br />
Errno 2: stream_socket_client(): Failed to enable crypto at [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php line 1090<br />
or this one:

Code: Select all

Errno 2: stream_socket_client(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol at [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php line 1090<br />
Errno 2: stream_socket_client(): Failed to enable crypto at [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php line 1090<br />
depending on the type of prefix (tls:// or ssl://) I put before the SMTP server address, respectively.

Any help understanding the root of these errors and how to resolve them would be greatly appreciated!

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”