Could not get style data; Problem getting worse

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
dm250m1

Could not get style data; Problem getting worse

Post by dm250m1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:42 am

My plain vanilla forum suddenly became inaccessible. It returned "Could not get style data" messages.

I am not a web designer. I tried to look up a solution in this forum so I wouldn't have to bother anyone.

The easiest looking solution was to delete the cache so that's what I tried. I left the "index.htm" file. Now I get this message when I try to access the forum:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/di/container_builder.php on line 292: file_put_contents(./cache/container_0374ec857381230fa83049643ce3cdee.php) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Disk quota exceeded

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/13/78/2917813/web/forum/includes/functions.php:3925) in /home/13/78/2917813/web/forum/includes/functions.php on line 2537
Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php

I stored the cache files on my local machine in the event something would go wrong, and since something did I figured I would FTP them back and get back to where I was. However my attempts to simply return the cache files is failing with messages like this:

Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (64,71,34,80,82,180).
Command: STOR data_versioncheck_version.phpbb.com-phpbbversions.json.php
Response: 553 Could not create file.
Error: Critical file transfer error
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 Switching to Binary mode

I could sure use some help.

Jim

Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Name: Christian

Re: Could not get style data; Problem getting worse

Post by Crizzo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:32 am

Hi,

Your disk space on your webspace/server run out.

You need to delete big files or order more space.

Regards
My extensions for phpBB: crizzo.de
German phpBB Support at www.phpbb.de

dm250m1

Re: Could not get style data; Problem getting worse

Post by dm250m1 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:59 pm

Thank you Crizzo,

You were correct.

I had looked at the website usage and I was only seeing 10% of my allocated disk space used. For that reason I figured your analysis was not correct for my problem.

However, it came out that my web host puts a 40,000 file limit on me and I hit that limit. So your analysis was relatively quite correct: While I was not out of disk space I was out of file quota. More or less the same thing with regards to why the forum ceased to work.

I've opted for a different plan with a higher file quota. With that being said, is it normal for web hosts to impose file quantity limits on their plans? I am thinking ahead as to whether I should look for a different hosting service if ever I get to a point where the forum "bumps its head" on the next file limit ceiling.

Thank you again.

Jim

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”