Need help recovering our phpBB Site

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
johnhuns

Need help recovering our phpBB Site

Post by johnhuns » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:24 am

Hi, I am new to phpBB and I am trying to help our organization recover our forum site. Approximately 2 months ago our site stopped working. When connecting to the URL we would receive a message "Error establishing a database connection". I contacted our hosting company and they restored the site but the error persists. They then said WordPress was out of date and they did an upgrade but I don't know if that did anything at all since the problem still occurs. They suggested we talk to our web developer and we didn't have a web developer but a member of our board built the forum, from what eventually found out was with php. I have been able to get help from some tech folks at work where I can connect to the forum pages and the database but the main forum page is not available.

I know nothing about this stuff and I'm looking for some beginner troubleshooting tips, like which file kicks of the main Forum or BB page when you go to a URL and what folder needs to contain that file. I found some articles on this support site that maybe the config.php was corrupted or missing. I found multiple copies of a config.php and from what I can tell it has our usernames and passwords in it, but I did notice it has a 3.0.x tag on the first line.

I hope this makes sense and I'm pretty sure this is in the wrong forum group. Thanks in advance for any help that can provided.

Thank you,
John

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Need help recovering our phpBB Site

Post by stevemaury » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:48 am

Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

johnhuns

Post by johnhuns » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:23 pm

Sorry, but I am not sure how to login into my board. Our forum is down. I have access to a tool called phpMyAdmin on my BlueHost CPanel, but I'm not sure that is what the instruction are asking me to do.

Also, there is some confusion on my part about our board. The BlueHost people said I needed to upgrade my WordPress. The guy who created the board said he said it up with phpBB. I don't know enough if they are complimentary products or should I be working with one tool or the other. From what I can tell from the config.php files we are running 3.0.x, if that helps.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:40 pm

how about a link to your website, board, wp, whatever it is.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

johnhuns

Post by johnhuns » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:52 pm

forum.oedl.org and thank you Robert!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:20 pm

that link takes you to a wordpress blog that only has the one default post.
do you have a different address for what you think is the phpbb forum?

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:23 pm

Try contacting BlueHost, I'm seeing a 404, they should know what happened.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

johnhuns

Post by johnhuns » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:20 pm

That blog appeared after they (BlueHost) performed a WordPress upgrade that they said we needed. Before that page we received the following error: Error establishing a database connection. When I contacted them about the WordPress blog they said they had to do a restore. After the restore I continued to get the "Error establishing a database connection" message and when I asked them what was up they said I needed the web developer. To be honest, BlueHost has not been very helpful in resolving this issue. The guy from our organization said he setup the forum with phpBB.

That URL that I gave was the only URL that was pointing to our form. I was able to get some things to appear using a different forum link (like to a specific post). I'll try to replicate and post that to see if it helps.

The last guy from BlueHost that tried to help, and he seemed interested in helping, gave me these instructions:
Hunsberger, John 10:29 AM:
I can understand your situation John.
I know you are worried.
John could you please ask your developer to replace the index.php file with forum index.php file.
Once it is done the issue will be solved.

There are index.php files, but I am unsure where the file needs to be.

Thanks to all you for your time and help!
John

johnhuns

Post by johnhuns » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:27 pm

Here is the link someone I work with was able to cypher and it seems to work to a point:
http://forum.oedl.org/viewforum.php?f=3

I assume the 3 is an index of some sort because changing the number takes me to different topics. I know this is all easy stuff for you but I'm learning the hard way...

I feel the Board Index is bad but I don't know what file to look for and where it should be in the file system. If you know what I mean.

Thanks,
John

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:16 am

ok, now I understand what has happened. you will need ftp access to the server to be able to fix this.

you need to go to your server root.

now, you will need a copy of phpbb 3.0.11 get it here:
https://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/ ... 3.0.11.zip

download that to your computer, unzip it.

now using ftp if you know how to use it or your bluehost control panel file manager if not, you will need to upload the file named index.php to the root of your server. That is where you will see a file named config.php ( since wordpress is also installed in the root you may have other files with similar names but not exactly. there is already a file there named index.php but that is for wordpress and we need to replace it with the one from the phpbb 3.0.11 download.
that should get your board back.
there is no official support here for a version that old so if you need help just send me a PM or email and I will help you get this solved.

robert

johnhuns

Post by johnhuns » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:24 am

Thanks Robert. In my root directory there is a configuration.php file, not a config.php. I have seen the config.php file on other directories, which I think are copies of the site. If that makes sense. Do I need to do something with the config.php?

Thanks,
John

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:39 am

you must not be looking in the correct place.
how are you looking at your root? are you using ftp or your hosting control panel etc.?
your site should be setup so that you see the public_html folder or it may be called www or htdocs, just depends on the server software etc.

the first thing you should look for is a folder named forum
that will be the root of your board. that is where you will find the config.php file and the incorrect index.php file that you want to replace.
so, the path would be /public_html/forum/config.php or htdocs/forum/config.php etc.

robert

johnhuns

Post by johnhuns » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:21 am

Robert, Thank you very much.

I noticed we get redirected to the forum folder, so under the forum folder I added the index.php and I copied a backup copy of the config.php file to the forum folder and the site looks like it is working just fine. I'm not sure where the redirect comes from but we did get the site back.

How difficult are upgrades and do you have any suggestions as to the best way to secure the site so this does not happen again (not that I know what happened in the first place)? Also, is it safe, do you think, to uninstall WordPress? I have no idea why BlueHost told me our issues were WordPress related when we don't seem to be using WordPress.

Thanks again for everything!
John

johnhuns

Post by johnhuns » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:23 am

I just saw your last note. I was originally looking at public_html as you knew. Once I moved everything to forum I was good.

Thanks a million!

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:32 pm

So, is your issue completely resolved?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”