remove install directory (again)

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
Rigel Van Gogh

remove install directory (again)

Post by Rigel Van Gogh » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:36 pm

I am getting the infamous message

Code: Select all

Warning

Please delete, move or rename the install directory before you use your board.
If this directory is still present, only the Administration Control Panel (ACP) will be accessible.
Searching the phpBB comunity, I found out to fix the problem, I should remove the install directory, However after removing the directory, I am still getting the warning message. I am also not see any category forum or subforum, unless I am in the ACP mode.

To give some background. My phpBB is running as a test-bed with fresh install on my backup computer. I am using this test-bed to test and develop new phpBB modules. This particular install will never be made public, but if all goes well, I will rent a VPS for a public forum.

The test-bed is running on Gentoo Linux. Using Gentoo package manager, I installed mysql, Apache2, and phpBB. According to this forum, I can simply remove the install directory, because I am not upgrading an existing forum. According to the package manager, phpBB installed a the directory "/usr/share/webapps/phpBB/3.1.10-r1/htdocs/install/". That directory contains "convertors/convert_phpbb20.php". It also has the same sibling directories as pictured in the post viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2179972.

After reading this forum, I determined that "/usr/share/webapps/phpBB/3.1.10-r1/htdocs/install/" is the correct directory, I deleted it's contents and removed it.

My problem is that now that the directory is gone (double-checked that), I am still getting the message "Warning Please delete, move or rename the install ...". Does anyone have an idea what I should try next?

Version numbers

www-servers/apache: 2.4.25
www-apps/phpBB: 3.1.10-r1
dev-db/mysql: 5.6.35

janus_zonstraal

Re: remove install directory (again)

Post by janus_zonstraal » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:48 pm

A cache problem?

Try to purge the cache and also your browser cache
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:52 pm

If you have used a package manager to install it then we probably have no idea what the problem is - why not use the files from this site where you can start with the latest version (3.2.2) rather than an older version (3.1.10) which is past eol?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Rigel Van Gogh

Post by Rigel Van Gogh » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:41 pm

david63 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:52 pm
If you have used a package manager to install it then we probably have no idea what the problem is - why not use the files from this site where you can start with the latest version (3.2.2) rather than an older version (3.1.10) which is past eol?
Thinking over it, I have decided to follow your advice and remove the Gentoo phpBB package. Before the commitment on re-installing from scratch, I decided to figure out how Apache knew to look into the /usr/share/webapps/phpBB/3.1.10-r1 directory. I did this mainly so Where I should install phpBB 3.2. I figured the package manager would use symbolic link or something.

Low and behold it was something completely different, the Gentoo package would unpack into the phpBB/3.1.10-r1 directory, but then it copied the files into the /var/www/localhost/htdocs/phpBB/ directory leaving two copies of the files on my computer.

When I removed install/ under the /var/www structure, The board was activated. I suppose it was a learning experience, though I will uninstall 3.1 and not use the package manager for phpBB.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”