Scripting commands

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
php_mike

Scripting commands

Post by php_mike » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:53 pm

No matter the Q&A, someone or everyone seems to be able to figure out the challenge and I end up spending a freaking hour removing spam every day.

I need some way of removing users and their posts without having to go through so many steps or will have to give up on phpbb and find something different as I can't spend all my time filtering spam.

Does anyone know of a cli script which would allow me to simply enter the script name and the users name and voila, gone. This would help.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Scripting commands

Post by stevemaury » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:08 pm

Q&A with the right question, works. It is the Gold Standard of spam blockage. So rather than work on a cure, let's work on prevention. Please provide a link to your board so we can (1) see what your current question is, and (2) help you formulate an effective question.

By the way, there is nothing different spam-wise about phpBB and any other BB software. If people can register, spambots can, unless you stop them.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:00 pm

and I am not sure how a script you write would be any easier /faster than the buillt in system.

you see the spam, you click on the user's name and then delete them and their posts. about 3 or 4 clicks.

of course, as said above, stopping them from registering in the first place eleminates any clicks to get rid of them.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

php_mike

Post by php_mike » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:11 pm

>you see the spam, you click on the user's name and then delete them and their posts. about 3 or 4 clicks.

Yes and that is my point exactly. Too many clicks when you have dozens of accounts to remove. It would be a lot faster to simply use a CLI script, entering the username when running the script. I could kill them all in minutes rather than the amount of time it takes now.

php_mike

Post by php_mike » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:13 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:08 pm
Q&A with the right question, works. It is the Gold Standard of spam blockage. So rather than work on a cure, let's work on prevention. Please provide a link to your board so we can (1) see what your current question is, and (2) help you formulate an effective question.

By the way, there is nothing different spam-wise about phpBB and any other BB software. If people can register, spambots can, unless you stop them.
Can I just send you that info in a PM rather than public?
And I do change the Q&A now and then but it doesn't seem to help.

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:25 pm

php_mike wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:11 pm
Yes and that is my point exactly. Too many clicks when you have dozens of accounts to remove. It would be a lot faster to simply use a CLI script, entering the username when running the script. I could kill them all in minutes rather than the amount of time it takes now.
Sorry but I cannot see how accessing cli, typing in a cli script name together with a username several times can be quicker than being in the ACP, which you will be anyway, and doing three or four clicks can be.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

php_mike

Post by php_mike » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:29 pm

david63 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:25 pm
php_mike wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:11 pm
Sorry but I cannot see how accessing cli, typing in a cli script name together with a username several times can be quicker than being in the ACP, which you will be anyway, and doing three or four clicks can be.
Fine, see it however you'd like to but for me, hitting TAB and pasting the user name is much faster (to me at least) than having to go through so many screens to get rid of one user. Still doesn't address my question. Can it bed done was the question. I'm assuming it can.

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:35 pm

php_mike wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:29 pm
Can it bed done was the question.
All things are possible - but you will probably need to wade through the phpBB core files and extract the necessary code and then build your script and then hope that nothing changes in future updates/upgrades that would stop your script working.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

php_mike

Post by php_mike » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:44 pm

>then hope that nothing changes in future updates/upgrades that would stop your script working.

Yup, very true. I just like having options but making the site more spammer secure would be the first thing to tackle.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:49 pm

Did you read this?
viewtopic.php?t=2122696
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

php_mike

Post by php_mike » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:57 pm

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:49 pm
Did you read this?
viewtopic.php?t=2122696
Yes, I've been using the Q&A for a while now. They just seem to beat it. In fact, I wonder if it is just one person that manually answers then sets their script for the Q&A. It just seems the more I delete them, the more they come even after I change the challenge.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:21 pm

Please PM me a link to your board and I will stop 99.9% of your spam.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

php_mike

Post by php_mike » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:15 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:21 pm
Please PM me a link to your board and I will stop 99.9% of your spam.
Will do. Sorry for the delay, didn't see any email notice about it. I just removed nearly 200 more and can see in the apache log connection after connection trying to create more accounts. It's frustrating since I keep changing the challenge.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”