Configure phpBB as read-only (with login and private messages access)

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
ahrhnur

Configure phpBB as read-only (with login and private messages access)

Post by ahrhnur » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:21 pm

Hello phpBB community,
Good day!

I've tried to find an answer, and found few, but none-of them was 100%-related to the exact state I'm interested in.

I'm managing a phpBB 3.1.x forum with a lot of forums, users and posts. I'm interested in configuring the forum as full read-only, but, still allow users to login and read there private messages. What's the best way to achieve this? the permissions model, along the years, contains user-level, group-level and forum-level permissions.

Any lead will be great to get. Will it be easier to use the UI? direct DB access? is there a solution of making the DB connection as read-only with the information of what tables still need read/write permissions to allow sessions, login, private messages, etc.? any hint will be great!

Big (!) thanks in-advance!

-ahrhnur

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Configure phpBB as read-only (with login and private messages access)

Post by KevC » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:23 pm

permissions
group forum permissions
registered users
select all the forums (you might have to do groups of 5 or 6 at a time)
read only
submit
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

ahrhnur

Post by ahrhnur » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:32 pm

Hi KevC,
Big thanks for the prompt response!

Will your (very simple) guidelines will override everything in a sense of "super-users"/admins/and such? I mean configuring read-only for the registered users will influence all the users, all the roles, all the boards, all the posts, etc? just trying to understand if it's really a "catch-all" solution.

Appreciate your help!

-ahrhnur

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:47 pm

Everyone is a registered user so it will set that for everyone. However, if you have other groups with a YES permission for 'can post new topics' or 'can post replies' then they will still be able to do that. You would need to do the same for them as well.

But, you could set the permissions as mentioned and then edit the permission role for read only from NO to NEVER for the two settings I just mentioned and that will stop everyone posting new topics or replying to any.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

ahrhnur

Post by ahrhnur » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:56 pm

Thanks a lot for the clarification KevC!

Regarding "edit the permission role for read only from NO to NEVER for the two settings" - is it OK to ask for guidelines? where exactly I found this configuration screen?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:16 pm

permissions
permission roles
forum roles

If there you can edit the standard default permissions so you could use the read only one and just edit the permission to reply and start topics to never instead of no.

You can also make a new role if you want and set everything you don't want them to do to NEVER and apply that to all the forums for the registered users.
Cheap UK Hosting

ahrhnur

Post by ahrhnur » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:15 pm

Thanks a lot KevC! your help is really appreciated! based-on what you've wrote, it seems like kind-of simple task, I hope it really is! :-)

ahrhnur

Post by ahrhnur » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:27 pm

Hi KevC,
How are you?

I've "played" with the menu screens you've mentioned on a testing environment I've created and feel comfortable. What I do want to ask (and sorry for the follow-up question) is this - my forum is very large. It includes a lot of roles, moderators, hidden forums and others. I just want to make sure if this change will be a "catch-all", for example - what about "super-users" (admins and such?) - will the "never" tweak on all registered users will "win" and will influence each and any user on the system, without the question of what "power" he has, in-general, and in-specific forums?

Big thanks in-advance!

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:08 pm

Everyone is in the registered user group.

Any NEVER permission set on that group will stop everyone doing it.
Cheap UK Hosting

ahrhnur

Post by ahrhnur » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:38 am

Thanks a lot KevC! your help is really appreciated!

ahrhnur

Post by ahrhnur » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:46 pm

Hello again KevC,
Good day!

I've followed your guidelines and have some follow-up questions:
  • I've created new role which was based on the Read-only role, "attached" it to the "Registered users" group and the relevant forum for testing. On the newly created role, I've changed all of the "no" to "never", just to be on the safe side. I wanted to know if you generally think it's OK or maybe I'm missing something and could "break" something (while taking into account the desired state which I'm interesting in).
  • After the configuration change, I've noticed that users with moderation and administration permissions indeed can't post and/or reply, but, do have the option to edit the post/reply, delete it, etc. When I revoked the moderation and administration permissions, these options were disabled which is exactly what I wanted to happen. My question is - do you see any issues with the fact of taking all moderations/administration permissions from all users except one that will be defined as the "single/only" full super-user?
Thanks in-advance!

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:04 pm

Hi,

That should all be fine.

As the founder of the site you will always be able to get at the admin panel and change anything back again if you need to.
Cheap UK Hosting

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:30 pm

ahrhnur wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:46 pm
I've created new role which was based on the Read-only role, "attached" it to the "Registered users" group and the relevant forum for testing. On the newly created role, I've changed all of the "no" to "never", just to be on the safe side. I wanted to know if you generally think it's OK or maybe I'm missing something and could "break" something (while taking into account the desired state which I'm interesting in).
Keep in mind that you are a member of the Registered Users group, so that "never" also applies to you.
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:39 pm

I believe that if you are a founder it overrides it but I am not sure.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:39 pm
I believe that if you are a founder it overrides it but I am not sure.

robert
hmm, good thinking and I'm not sure about it either. I tend to believe that that is not the case since any new forum you make will not be shown on the forum index unless you give yourself the view permission first (but I'ld have to try that before putting any money on that statement).
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”