Updating from 3.1.10 to 3.2.x

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
edd_jedi

Updating from 3.1.10 to 3.2.x

Post by edd_jedi » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:36 am

As 3.1 is now approaching end of life, I am looking to update to 3.2. I currently have 3.1.10 installed, I have not updated to the latest 3.1.12 because automatic updates have been disabled and I haven't fancied trying to do it manually.

I cannot find a clear answer on whether I will need to update my theme or not. I am running a customised version of this third party theme on 3.1.10:

http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/WoWWarlords

In the phpBB styles library on this site, it looks like most themes are compatible with all or most versions of 3.x, from 3.0 right up to 3.2. Is this the case? I appreciate I will need to update eventually either way, but creating a new theme obviously increases the workload.

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Re: Updating from 3.1.10 to 3.2.x

Post by david63 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:42 am

edd_jedi wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:36 am
I cannot find a clear answer on whether I will need to update my theme or not.
Not sure where you have been looking but your 3.1 style will not work correctly, if at all, with 3.2
edd_jedi wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:36 am
In the phpBB styles library on this site, it looks like most themes are compatible with all or most versions of 3.x, from 3.0 right up to 3.2. Is this the case?
Definitely not - there may be versions of a style that work with each version of phpBB. To avoid problems you should always use the same version of the style as that of your board.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

edd_jedi

Post by edd_jedi » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:51 am

OK thanks, appreciate the reply.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:23 am

Upgrading is very simple, delete a few files upload some files and run the dB updater.

Notes:
  • Your server must be running at least PHP 5.4.7 or higher.
  • phpBB 3.2 is mostly incompatible with 3.1 and most of the previous files will need to be removed prior to upgrading.
    To upgrade, perform the following steps:
  1. Make a back-up of the original files and database
  2. Deactivate all styles except for prosilver
  3. Deactivate any extensions which are not compatible with phpBB 3.2. Check with the extension author to find out if an extension is compatible or not.
  4. Ensure that the activated spambot countermeasure is one of the standard phpBB plugins (Simple image, GD image, GD 3D image, Q&A, reCaptacha).
  5. Set British English as the only language pack and delete all other language pack directories from your server
  6. Delete all of your phpBB 3.1.x files EXCEPT for the following:
    • The config.php file
    • The /ext/ directory
    • The /images/ directory
    • The /files/ directory
    • The /store/ directory
  7. Upload the contents of the phpBB3 directory from the uncompressed 3.2.x Full Package (EXCEPT for config.php) into your forum's directory (Note: you don't want to overwrite your original config.php file)
  8. Browse to www.example.com/install/
  9. Click the Update tab
  10. Click the Update button
  11. Select "Update database only" and click Submit
  12. Wait for the progress bar to reach 100% and for a message indicating that the update has completed
  13. Delete or rename the /install/ directory
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”