Internal Server Error: Resource temporarily unavailable

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
hrp402

Internal Server Error: Resource temporarily unavailable

Post by hrp402 »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.1.4
What is your board's URL? http://eomahaforums.com
Who do you host your board with? Bluehost
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0.11
What extensions do you have installed? vse/abbc3
bb3mobi/lastpostavatar
rmcgirr83/elonw
hifikabin/navbarsearch
tatiana5/profileSideSwitcher
pico/autodbbackup
sanfi/fadeheader
vinabb/happyanniversary
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP but not phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? None, board has not had any changes for some time.
Please describe your problem. Starting within the last week, we have been getting 500 Internal Server Errors:
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
When looking at the error logs, we are seeing things like:
[Fri Apr 13 19:33:46 2018] [error] [client [REDACTED]] SoftException in Application.cpp:574: Could not execute script "[REDACTED]/viewforum.php"
[Fri Apr 13 19:33:46 2018] [error] [client [REDACTED]] Caused by SystemException in API_Linux.cpp:444: execve() for program "/ramdisk/php/54/bin/php54s" failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
[Fri Apr 13 19:33:46 2018] [error] [client [REDACTED]] Premature end of script headers: viewforum.php
[Fri Apr 13 19:33:46 2018] [error] [client [REDACTED]] SoftException in Application.cpp:574: Could not execute script "[REDACTED]/app.php"
[Fri Apr 13 19:33:46 2018] [error] [client [REDACTED]] Caused by SystemException in API_Linux.cpp:444: execve() for program "/ramdisk/php/54/bin/php54s" failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
[Fri Apr 13 19:33:46 2018] [error] [client [REDACTED]] Premature end of script headers: app.php
I took a look at .htaccess and nothing looked odd there and it had not been touched in a while.

I've tried adjusting the permissions of the PHP files to 755, but that hasn't helped so I put them back to 644. I also created a simple PHP page, and it has the same issue. If I create an HTML page, it loads just fine, so it appears to be something with PHP.

I tried to switch between PHP 5.4 (Single php.ini), 5.4, 5.4 (FastCGI), 5.6 (Single php.ini), 5.6 and 5.6 (FastCGI), but that hasn't seemed to make a difference. I currently have it where it was prior (5.4 single php.ini).

Any idea why this would have started happening?
Generated by SRT Generator
Last edited by hrp402 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david63

Re: Internal Server Error: Resource temporarily unavailable

Post by david63 »

Have you asked your hosts what they changed?

If you have not changed anything and you start getting "Internal server errors" then, in all likelihood, your hosts have done something.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
hrp402

Post by hrp402 »

Thanks David for responding.

I'm doing this on behalf of the site owner so I haven't been able to talk to the host about it. They will be talking to the host today so hopefully we'll get some answers.

I was just wondering if anyone had seen something similar before.
david63

Post by david63 »

hrp402 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:49 pm I was just wondering if anyone had seen something similar before.
It is not uncommon to have this type of problem, but can be caused by any number reasons which is why the host is the best first starting point.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
hrp402

Post by hrp402 »

Quick update on the issue: I had noticed that there was an issue with the cache directory. Simply trying to get a listing with ls would cause it to hang and not even an interrupt would abort. Once the host rebooted the server, things started working again. It only took many hours to get them to realize what the problem was and to do something about it.

Now that we got things up, we went ahead and upgraded to 3.2.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”