Set group forum permissions for all forums.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
Edeholland

Set group forum permissions for all forums.

Post by Edeholland »

Hi,I want to change the permissions from the "newly registered users" group, so they can't post without approval.

I go Permissions > Group forum permissions > All forums and here I can edit it. But, I want it to change on ALL forums. I can't select each forum individually and change it, that would take days. I also can't copy forum permissions from one forum to another, because each forum has it's own unique permissions that I don't want to copy. I just want to copy this one group permissions to all forums.

How can I set this specific group forum permissions on all forums at once?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Set group forum permissions for all forums.

Post by KevC »

That permission is already the default for that group if you assign the newly registered users role to all of the forums.

If you want to edit an existing set of permissions you can edit the roles in the permissions tab.

Outside of that you would need to set the permissions for each forum or groups of forums that are the same.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Edeholland

Post by Edeholland »

When I go to Permissions > Forum roles > Newly Registered User Access the permission "can post without approval" is set to NEVER.

However, I just tried making a new account to post, and I could post without a problem.

I have set the max amount of posts for Newly Registered Users to 1.

I want newly registered users to get approval for 1 post, so that they then move to registered users and can post freely.

How is it possible that I can still post with a new account, when it's set to NEVER?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

You probably don't have the group forum permissions set to the newly registered users access.

permissions
group forum permissions
newly registered users
select up to 6 forums at a time
newly registered user access
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Edeholland

Post by Edeholland »

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

In there, the "can post without approval" is set to Yes. I could change it, but I would have to do it for each forum individually, which is the problem I have. I also wonder why that's really needed when NEVER should override Yes.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

The registered users group will be on YES through their standard access (or standard + polls) permission.
The newly registered users group will be on NEVER through their newly reg'd users access permission.
Edeholland

Post by Edeholland »

So I have to edit the permissions for each forum individually? How can I do that faster without copying permissions?
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Go to
Permissions
Permissions Masks
View forum based permissions
Select a forum
Type a brand new user's name in the Find a member box
Click View Permissions.

Click the circle-arrow next to Post without permission
That will show you where the new user's permission is coming from.
Edeholland

Post by Edeholland »

Thanks, I did not know about that function.

It seems like it comes from both the groups, what I don't understand, because it was set to NEVER in forum rules, as you can see in my second post.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

But clearly, it isn't.

All you have to do is to make sure the Newly registered users Role has a never for Can post without approval (which it is by default) and assign that role to every forum. Should be able to do 6 or so at a time
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Edeholland

Post by Edeholland »

stevemaury wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:34 pm But clearly, it isn't.

All you have to do is to make sure the Newly registered users Role has a never for Can post without approval (which it is by default) and assign that role to every forum. Should be able to do 6 or so at a time
That's the question I was asking in the OP, how can I do more forums at a time? I can select all hunderds of forums, but I still have to click on the permissions for each one. Can I use an SQL-query or something extension? Is there no build-in function to change permissions for every forum you have?
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Edeholland wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:57 am I also can't copy forum permissions from one forum to another, because each forum has it's own unique permissions that I don't want to copy.
You have hundreds of forums with hundreds of unique permissions? How do you keep track of them all?
Edeholland

Post by Edeholland »

Brf wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:04 pm
Edeholland wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:57 am I also can't copy forum permissions from one forum to another, because each forum has it's own unique permissions that I don't want to copy.
You have hundreds of forums with hundreds of unique permissions? How do you keep track of them all?
Yeah I don't :( Which is why I would like to know how to manage them better. Can you confirm there is no way to adjust every forum at the same time? Maybe with a query?
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

No. That is what "copy permissions" is for.
Set up a forum with the proper permissions and then copy it to whatever forums you want.
Also, if your forum permissions are out of control, you are probably better-off starting from scratch. Set up base permissions on one forum and copy to all the rest.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

What is the average number of posts in each of your hundreds of forums?
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”