Spam accounts on 3.1.10

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
LogicalUnit

Spam accounts on 3.1.10

Post by LogicalUnit »

Hello, I have a phpBB forum running on a virtual private server in the cloud. Over the past couple of weeks, dozens of new spam accounts have been created. My forum requires manual approval of all new users, so these spam account are easy enough to delete. However, I'm wondering if upgrading to the latest version of phpBB will put a stop to this. My phpBB forum is version 3.1.10

If upgrading to the latest version will fix this issue, I have a follow-up query: what's the best way to upgrade the server? I could create a new VPS in the cloud, install the latest version of phpBB, then use phpBB's built-in database backup and restore functionality, but would there be a data compatibility issue going from 3.1.x to 3.2.x?

Also, what steps need to be taken to flip the DNS from one server to the other? What needs to be done on the new server before this happens?

Many thanks
janus_zonstraal

Re: Spam accounts on 3.1.10

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
LogicalUnit

Post by LogicalUnit »

Hello,

I tried to follow the instructions you provided, but I encountered the following error when trying to update my database:

The installer detected a timeout
The installer has detected a timeout, you may try to refresh the page, which may lead to data corruption. We suggest that you either increase your timeout settings or try to use the CLI.

Installing Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\fix_user_styles.
Skip “installer.update_filesystem.download_updated_files” task
Skip “installer.update_filesystem.update_files” task
Skip “installer.update_filesystem.show_file_status” task
Skip “installer.update_filesystem.diff_files” task
Skip “installer.update_filesystem.check_task” task
Skip “installer.obtain_data.update_ftp_settings” task
Skip “installer.obtain_data.update_files” task
Skip “installer.obtain_data.file_updater_method” task

Any advice?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

first, edit your config.php file to make it say mysqli instead of mysql

save the file, upload it back to the server.

then, use your ftp to remove all of the migration files from the folder named "store" and the install_config.php file as well.
then delete everything from the cache folder except for the index.htm and the htaccess files.

then, go back to the database update page in your browser and refresh the page to let the update run again.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
LogicalUnit

Post by LogicalUnit »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:55 am first, edit your config.php file to make it say mysqli instead of mysql

save the file, upload it back to the server.

then, use your ftp to remove all of the migration files from the folder named "store" and the install_config.php file as well.
then delete everything from the cache folder except for the index.htm and the htaccess files.

then, go back to the database update page in your browser and refresh the page to let the update run again.

robert
Hi, I followed this procedure, and it works. Board has been updated to 3.2.2

I do seem to be missing a module though. In the Admin Control Panel, there is a link that says ACP_SEND_STATISTICS. If I click on it, I get:

Cannot find module ./../includes/acp/acp_send_statistics.php
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

reupload the includes folder.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”