403 Forbidden error

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
MrGizmo

403 Forbidden error

Post by MrGizmo »

Last Friday I got this error for the first time:

"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forum/adm/index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

I have been running version 3.1.11 all year without problems, and I don't know what changed. Any ideas?

Thanks
MrGizmo
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: 403 Forbidden error

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

most likely your host changed something. those types of changes don't just happen by themselves. if you did nothing then that leaves your host.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
MrGizmo

Post by MrGizmo »

Robert, I agree. Turns out if I turn off ModSecurity it works. I am guessing that it got changed when my site was transferred to another server.
MrGizmo
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Mod_security causes almost all of the 403 errors we see here.
MrGizmo

Post by MrGizmo »

The technician I talked to said that it was not the problem, however, when I turn it off, the problem goes away. I wish it didn't take 4 hours to find this out. The web search I did showed answers from 2008 and 2012. Not any help.
MrGizmo
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I have found that any time you contact support you should ask for level two support or for the supervisor etc. the people that answer the phone or the chat know how to turn the pages in the manual and ask dumb questions like "did you turn on the computer" etc. They usually don't have a clue about how the server works or your site works etc.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Most sites with mod_security block a ridiculous list of words. I remember a few years back there was an animal lovers’ board where they were complaining about 403 errors every time they posted the word “cat”.
MrGizmo

Post by MrGizmo »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:42 am I have found that any time you contact support you should ask for level two support or for the supervisor etc. the people that answer the phone or the chat know how to turn the pages in the manual and ask dumb questions like "did you turn on the computer" etc. They usually don't have a clue about how the server works or your site works etc.

robert
That's for sure. I have been a programmer/analyst for about 30 years, and I usually know more than the person I am talking to. I just have to hope that they have the ONE answer I need!
MrGizmo
MrGizmo

Post by MrGizmo »

Brf wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:28 am Most sites with mod_security block a ridiculous list of words. I remember a few years back there was an animal lovers’ board where they were complaining about 403 errors every time they posted the word “cat”.
What I don't understand is why it blocked my access to the Admin pages.
MrGizmo
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

MrGizmo wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:04 am What I don't understand is why it blocked my access to the Admin pages
Maybe it was adm instead of cat in your case?
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”